Chapter 11 - Redemption

A/n: Sorry for the slow updates recently, I'm back in school soon. Hopefully I will still have the time to release chapters quickly, I'm trying my best as this story still has so much further to go. I will not be abandoning it! I really appreciate all the votes and I love reading through all your comments, they really make me smile. Thank you all

POV: Y/n

This is it. I'd spent all morning with that idiot, and I swear to the walls if he doesn't ace this I will. Not. Forgive him.

It was almost Eren's turn to be called for the ODMG test, he was one of the last few to do it. Looking around, I realised there was noticeably less cadets now than there was when arrived at the equipment. I had already passed the test with flying colours - which didn't come to a surprise for most people - however multiple cadets had already been sent to the fields, either giving up or had failed.

On average most people just about pasted with a wobble here and there. There was obviously people like, Mikasa, Jean, and Sasha that seemed to be quite talented with the ODMG. There was you, Reiner, Bertholt and Annie who were far from average and then there was people like Eren.

There had been a few that had failed miserably. They had received an awfully loud lecture from Shadis who yelled at them for even thinking of joining the training corps, then they were sent away, shamefully trudging their way over to the wagons waiting on the side lines that would take them to the farmers fields. While everyone watched them-

I felt bad for them. I knew I'd never be one of them but still... I'd hate to be in their position. While Mulling over my pity for them I only just noticed the nervous gulp behind me as the names called were getting closer and closer to his. Looking over my shoulder, my eyes met the anxious green of the brunette's.

Without warning Eren leaned forward until his face was merely inches from my own. Surprised, I leaned back, watching him with wide eyes until he started mumbling something. Oh...

I slowly leaned towards him as his troubled glance caught my own.

"What if I mess up Y/n...", he faintly whispered, unsure of himself as his eyes moved from yours to the ground. I frowned. Surprisingly I found I did not like to see him so worried, I didn't want him to fail. And oddly not just because I had spent my whole morning training him. Eren was shuffling about getting more nervous by the second as more people were called up and more people were sent to the field wagons. I softly sighed, this won't do.

"Hey", I gently whispered in a reassuring tone. His green eyes suddenly flicked up to my warm (e/c) ones. He seemed genuinely surprised at my caring tone. At least I had his attention now.

"We've trained all morning for this, remember? You did well then and you will do well now. I believe in you." I smiled at him. "You've got this-"

"Yeager", i and another voice spoke. I in an a soft whisper and the other voice in a demanding bellow. Signalling it was finally Eren's turn. The moment of truth, let's see if he actually remembers what I taught him. For his sake, I hope he does.

Silence followed the soldiers words as they waited for Eren to come up to the equipment. Eren on the other hand was frozen to the spot, still as a statue though the uncertainty he was feeling was clear on his tanned face. He looked like he was suddenly having second thoughts but before he could back away, I gave him a quick nudge on the arm.

"Do it for her", was my final whisper of wisdom and immediately his green unsure orbs stared into my calm ones. My face softened.

Suddenly he seemed like the little boy I had seen all those years ago - not the one that tormented me and harassed me but the one that was too shy to speak to me when I first arrived in town, fearing I would think him weird if he tried.

I almost smiled at the memory, it seemed so long ago... However before more time could pass, I had to gently shove Eren towards the gear. He seemed to be deep in thought - probably contemplating my vague but meaningful words - but quickly snapped out of it once the soldier approached him.

He looked back at me one last time before reaching the equipment, his lips were moving. He was mouthing something.

' Thank you...'

He smiled sincerely, looking at me with the same fondness I had looked at him with before the smile fell and he faced back around as the soldier hook him up to the equipment. I myself was in a quiet internal shock, It seemed I wasn't the only one who felt a bit closer after this morning. Maybe redemption was achievable with Eren. Maybe...

I anxiously watched them slowly suspend him in the air.

POV: Eren

I did it. I couldn't help the grin that stretched across my face as I looked into the crowd of cadets watching me. Mikasa and Armin were pleasantly surprised at my success, speaking with Jean and the others around them. My grin only widened.

I was slightly twitching here and there but that didn't matter. I was still upright. I could still be a soldier.

Unconsciously my eyes wandered to where she was standing. My grin turned into a soft smile as I watched her smile back, shaking her head slightly and slowly clapping her hands. It was thanks to her that I was able to pass. I was extremely grateful.

Memories of the past came back to me and I internally grimaced. I had been such an asshole as a kid, I thought to myself deep in regret, yet she still has helped me. She truly was nothing like the Y/n I remembered from Shiganshina, maybe just maybe... we could be friends?

Inconveniently her words from earlier came back to my head, the ones I had been contemplating earlier ' do it for her '. But who did she mean? Mikasa? Or... my mother.

My concentration dropped abruptly and so did my balance. The last thing I saw was the panic in Y/n's eyes before the world was upside down.

No. No, no NO! I just did it... I can't have failed...

I was lowered down and I couldn't believe it. A million thoughts rushed through my head at once but I couldn't focus on a single one of them. There were voices but I couldn't hear them. I was never going to become a soldier. I had let my mother down... and Y/n.

"Eren", thomas whispered through his teeth. " We need to switch belts!" He grabbed me and pulled me up as his eyes glanced towards Shadis who was watching the pair of us. It seemed in my misery I hadn't been listening and within a few moments I was suspended again, this time with a different belt and no trouble staying uptight.

It turned out ( according to a suspicious Shadis ) I had a broken belt.

Murmurs broke out among the crowd of cadets who were still watching me. There were many shocked and confused faces as they wondered how I had stayed up even with a broken belt. There was a strange feeling of pride knowing I had done something others had not - even Y/n and Mikasa hadn't. Though I doubt they would have trouble if they tried.

Among the murmurs and whispers, one stood out.

"Even with a broken belt... nice job Yeager", a familiar soft voice spoke. I knew it was you.

Why did it feel so special hearing that from you?