Chapter 9 - Day One

A/n: Thank you so much for 1k reads! That's amazing I'm so glad you are reading this! I hope you continue to enjoy and feel free to comment or vote on chapters you like! It really helps out! Thank you again!

POV: Y/n

The first day of our training as soldiers. We were gonna first learn to stay upright in the Omni-dimensional manoeuvre gear or the ODMG. Most of the cadets looked petrified as the officers prepared the equipment and started calling names to go upfront. Strangely I wasn't scared, maybe I was being too confident? That happens sometimes. We were already given our gear prior to meeting here, so all we could do was sit and wait until it was our turn to be called.

Mikasa was one of the first to use the gear, and did it flawlessly. She just hung there effortlessly while the few others on the gear around her were struggling to keep upright. No surprise there though, it's Mikasa after all.

Cadets were called up, some were failed, some gave up entire. It seemed like ages had passed before it was my turn to be called up. It was only then when I felt a huge wave of anxiety wash over me as I walked up to the equipment, I was fine before, what happened? There are so many eyes watching
I realise as I take a quick glance around before reaching the station where they attach my harness to the equipment.

So many people- no I had to stop this before it throws me off. I need to concentrate. I must focus. Deep breaths Y/n... and three... two... one, and then I was suspended in the air. At first I struggled slightly but soon got the hang of it, I just hung there for a bit. See not too bad... I think as I look around at the amazed gazes I'm getting from the cadets waiting for their turn.

"YEAGER! Get back up straight!", I heard shadis yell, it scared me and almost threw me off balance.
I looked to my left where I saw Eren dangly upside down with a dazed look on his face. People were starting to laugh and snicker at him and Shadis' tormenting wasn't helping. Suddenly his eyes meet mine. He looked me up and down from where i was easily swinging with the ODMG before facing the other way.

"Show off", the brunette sulkily muttered under his breath, but I heard it and I had to restrain myself from smirking at him. As much as I pitied him right now I enjoyed being better at him at something. I started having flashbacks, back to Shiganshina. When the angry brunette constantly tormented me and thought he was better than me. It was oddly satisfying for him to come asking for my help after dinner that night.

"Y/n", I heard from behind me as I was about to leave, when I turned around I was met by Eren and Armin. Though this wasn't the first time me and Eren had talked, Armin hadn't approached me yet, when I looked at him he gave a shy wave before nudging his brown haired friend. Eren glared at Armin before rolling his eyes and crossing his arms then staring at me determinedly, causing me to raise my eyebrow at him, what was he up to?

"Y/n", Eren repeated again as he seriously looked me dead in the eyes. Though I didn't showing it, the way he was acting was starting to make me anxious but I couldn't let my facade fall in front of him. He closed his eyes and let out a deep sigh while he clenched both his fists. I was getting more nervous by the second.

"I want you to help me with the omni-dimensional manoeuvre gear",he said with a straight face, almost demandingly.

I looked at him with a blank face for what seemed like a few minutes, Eren still remained determined however Armin was getting increasingly more anxious the longer I stayed silent. He must of put Eren up to this.

"Oh is that right?", I said raising my eyebrows and placing my hands on my hips. Eren nodded, while Armin nervously gulped next to him, his blue eyes flicking between me and Eren.

"Yeah... no", I said as I dropped my hands and turned away from him leaving them both stunned. After Years of torment from this boy I didn't feel like helping him at all. Why is he even asking me for help? Knowing we'll just how he treated me? He has Mikasa to help him as well! The audacity of this...

I had almost left the room, when I heard footsteps quickly shuffle then felt my hand being grabbed from behind me, pulling me around to face the culprit. It was of course Eren. My surprised face turned into an unimpressed one as I looked down at his hand holding mine before yanking mine away.

"Please Y/n"

I looked back up at him, and he seemed different...
His teal eyes seemed more desperate and sad, even his face showed some hints of anxiety and despair. He really wanted this, enough to gain the courage to ask me of all people.

"Please Y/n, help me. I need to become a solider...I need to avenge my mother",Eren harshly whispered to me. His eyes were pleading with me and I was beginning to feel some sympathy for the brunette. Especially over the last thing he said, I looked at Armin but when he wouldn't meet my gaze, opting to look at the floor instead. I came to the conclusion it was true, Carla was always kind to me whenever our paths happened to cross and to think now she is-
no I didn't want to think about it because I would start to feel guilty.

Stop. It's not your fault it's theirs. They broke the wall. Not you.

"Eren", I began as I reluctantly looked up at him and sighed. "Fine I'll help you ok? Meet me tomorrow by the equipment shed at dawn got it?"

Eren gave me a small grateful smile and nodded before turning back and walking off, dragging a relieved Armin with him. I gave another deep sigh knowing how much trouble this will cause me, but before I could start overthinking I was saved by a particular horse.

"Hey girly~", Jean casually strode up next to me.

"Hey horsey~", I turned to face him. " Miss me?" I inquired with a exaggerated pouty face. I decided I would leave the Eren problem to future Y/n.

He laughed before staring to walk out of the room motioning for me to follow after him.

"Of course girly", he said as we both walked outside lightly laughing. Marco was waiting outside talking to Sasha and Connie, we met up with them and started walking around the training grounds. We were laughing and joking about silly little things until it started getting late. Me and Sasha walked back to the girls cabin while the boys left and went into theirs.

Sasha was telling me about her village and what it was like hunting but to be honest half way through I tuned her out, as other problems started to wander around in my mind. I have a while before dawn when I have to meet up with Eren, which means I should probably go meet up with Reiner, Bertholt and Annie. Lately it's almost been like I've been avoiding them so I'll have to sort that out eventually. I gave a small sigh before pausing Sasha mid-sentence and giving her an excuse for why I need to leave.

More excuses... Shut up-

I waved goodbye to Sasha and started jogging to the usual meeting place it was highly likely they were all there; They meet up there every night after all. I stopped jogging but stopped when I was a few yards away, Annie was the first one to notice my presence and nodded in acknowledgement. The others turned their heads in my direction soon after and I came to a stand still.

"Y/n",Reiner nodded.

I finished approaching the three and sat down with them.

"Y/n"Reiner spoke again,"we need to talk"

A/n: Sorry for this chapter taking a while, I've got writers block :(