Chapter 3 - The Scouts return

POV: Y/n

I was sitting on a roof eating the berries I had recently stolen ,which turned out to be blueberries by the way, the sun was still shining and the people of shiganshina were busy about there day beneath me. Every few moments I gave Saoirse a few berries too, he would peck them out of my hand as he perched next to me, and we ate berries in turn.

Everything seemed to have returned to being peaceful once more, it was quiet up on the roofs thats why I liked hiding up here so much. Though I was visible from the streets, no one else could get up here without any training and it wasn't like the soldiers were bothered to anyway. So I would count it as my safe space or hiding spot, no one could reach me and no one ever tried. I've grown to like it.

We soon ran out of berries to eat though I'm sure Saoirse had his fill as he chirped happily. I gently picked him up from the roof and placed him onto my lap and started stroking his feathers. They were soft and strangely comforting to stroke. I unconsciously started to smile to myself and as Saoirse nestled himself on my lap. I felt so numb yet peaceful at the same time.

However just as I had began to relax, the loud ringing of a bell abruptly snapped me out of my tranquil trance, signalling the return of the scouting legion. I could see the gate opening from where I was sitting , there was no doubt that there would be less of them returning than that had left the walls this morning.

"The Survey Corps is back! The front gate's opening!
Let's go, Mikasa! The heroes are back!", A certain brunette yelled as he darted towards the street where the scouts would soon pass through, his adoptive sister trailing after him.

"Damn it, I can't see!"Eren whined as he desperately tried to see through the crowd of townsfolk that blocked his line of sight. He opted for climbing on a nearby crate, Mikasa following him.

"These are all that made it back? Everyone else must've been eaten.", I heard one of the townsfolk say as the scouts slowly began trudging through the street.

"That's what happens when you go outside the walls.", another middle-aged man said, he wasn't wrong as many of the scouts were either mildly injured or were lying in carts with a missing limb or unable to walk.

Suddenly an elderly woman walked up to the man who was leading the scouts, most likely being the commander. I already had a bad feeling about this...

"Moses! Moses! Um, my son, Moses... I don't see him." The elderly woman cried to the commander, who was listening to the woman cry with an unreadable expression, probably because she was the mother of one of the men he had lead to their death. I was waiting for the dreaded question.

"Where is he?", she sniffled as she looked around for her son, there it was, though secretly I bet she already knew the answer as it was obvious she was just denying it to herself. She had hope, a hope that wouldn't exist once the commander answers her question.

I couldn't listen to anymore after that. For what I could tell their conversation went on for about a minute, in which there was a lot of screaming and crying. I felt bad for the woman, though I didn't know the pain of loosing a loved one, I could imagine it hurt. It probably hurt a lot.

"What a mess...", one of the men standing in front of Eren and Mikasa said drawing my attention.

"You've got that right. It's like our taxes all go to fatten them up.", the other said. I sighed to myself; They were all talk but if they were to go outside the walls themselves I bet they wouldn't judge the scouts so easily, I thought as I glared at them from where I sat by the edge of the roof, Saoirse still on my lap.

Their comment also seriously pissed of Eren as he picked up a stick and was about to hit them with it. Noticing this before Mikasa, i carefully slipped down to a ledge and manoeuvred myself so I remained balanced,while holding Saoirse, and having my arm stuck out to block Erens stick from hitting the ungrateful men.

He at first seemed confused that his stick hadn't hit his target but he was quick to anger again as his green eyes quickly flicked from my arm to my (e/c) eyes and settled on my placid face as he directed his anger at me, hitting my arm away cutting my hand with the stick in the process and causing me to loose my balance as I fell from the ledge I had been balancing on previously.

I tried my best to help Saoirse as he fell onto a pile of hay nearby, landing with a disgruntled chirp. Thankfully he didn't sustain any further damage however I wasn't as fortunate as I landed on the ground in front of Eren, with Mikasa standing behind him. It wasn't too much of a fall therefore there was no permanent damage done however that wasnt my main concern as I took a quick look at my injured hand before hiding it behind my other one as I looked up at Eren in front of me. He was furious.

"What the hell are you doing here you creep? Quit following me!" he yelled as he raised the stick to hit me but was stopped by Mikasa.

"Eren enough...", she said to her adoptive brother as she removed the stick from his hands and threw it to her side as I simply watched the two with dead eyes.
I glanced at Saorirse then back a the two again, I needed to get out of here and fast.

"Whatever! Why are you always where I am freak?" Eren started questioning accusingly. I was of course unfortunate to be the subject of this boys anger twice today and I was getting rather tired of it.

"Have you ever thought that I might've just coincidentally been in the same place at the same time?", I sighed as I looked down for a moment, but immediately realised my mistake as I looked back up in shock when I met Eren's surprised face, he was surprised I had even replied. I should've just stayed quiet now this argument will take even longer, and it's probably already started happening to my hand.

As if on cue, Saoirse started chirping again. Capturing all of our attention as he flapped his one unbroken wing from where he lay in the hay pile. Mikasa was in shock as she watched the bird flap about, where as Erens gaze kept switching from between me and the flightless blackbird. His angry gaze slowly softening, though I hardly took notice of this as I started to panic. While they were distracted I got up and ran over to Saoirse and carefully scooped him up before running around the corner.

I heard a faint ' hey! ' being yelled after, probably Eren, but when I heard no footsteps follow I slowed down and ducked into the nearest alleyway. It was dark and damp but private. I placed Saoirse on a crate nearby as I backed up against the wall and slowly slid down it, my torn white dress collecting even more dirt but i didn't care. There was tears slowly starting to form in my eyes as I looked upon my injured hand that Eren had cut with the stick. This was another one of my freakish abilities. Tears fell as I watched my hand steam, as the cut slowly healed itself, any blood evaporating. Just like a Titan.