Chapter 1 - The Freak

A/n: Hey! thank you for choosing to read this fanfic! Please like and comment on chapters you like so I can get better! It's very much appreciated!

POV: Y/n
I don't remember much about my past before coming to the walls, it's all a blur to me. There are things I wanted to remember like my parents and things I wanted to forget but I can barely remember any of it...

I live in Shiganshina district of wall Maria, a relatively small but populated district. A town encased by fifty metre high walls to protect us from the monsters outside. Here I'm known as a freak because im different from other people. I don't have any family nor a place to live. Therefore i had to learn to survive by myself from a young age, and I was judged for it. Because the world is cruel and so are the people in it but you must fight. You must fight and maybe one day, just maybe the world won't be so cruel.

SNAP!

I suddenly jolted awake as the small branch I had been resting my arm on gave way. I was half awake and unsteady and I nearly fell out of the tree however I regained my balance just in time. This was the third time I've fallen asleep in a tree this week, but you can't blame me.

It was a lovely summer day in the district of Shiganshina. The blue sky was dotted with fluffy white clouds that allowed lots of warm sunlight to shine upon my face; there was a warm breeze that lightly blowed my (h/l) hair in my face. It was peaceful.

I looked down when I saw slight movement from the corner of my eye. I positioned myself so that my legs were wrapped around the branch, I swung down to get a proper look at what was below me.

To my surprise my face was met by the face of a sleeping boy. He had dark brown hair and tannish skin, he was also crying whether he knew it or not. He must've been having an nightmare. He looked around my age and familiar? I've definitely seen him before but I can't remember his name, what was it again?

"Eren?!", a girl with long black hair called. She was running up the hill and in the direction of this tree and was wearing a red scarf and a backpack used to store collected wood.

Suddenly the boy beneath me jolted awake. Eren she had said? Oh that's right Dr Yeager's son Eren. Time seemed still for a moment as his teary jade green eyes stared into my (e/c) ones. However the silence didn't last long.

"What the hell you freak! Why were you watching me sleep!", the boy exclaimed as he sat up and backed away from me, the black haired girl started running towards us due to Erens sudden outburst, and was openly glaring at me.

I simply watched them with no reply as I hung upsidedown from my branch. The girl came to Erens side and offered him a hand to help him up. Up close I recognise her, she is his adoptive sister Mikasa. I don't know how I didn't recognise her by the hair and scarf from earlier.

Eren swatted away Mikasa hand, which she seemed a bit hurt by but ignored and got up by himself only to continue hurling insults at me.

"Hey are you gonna just ignore me or what? Think your better than me you freak! Your so weird! Quit watching me okay?!" The brown haired boy yelled as his adopted sister continued to glare at me.

I simply stared back at them which only frustrated the boy more. When they realised they weren't going to get a response from me, Mikasa grabbed Erens hand and turned her back to me and re-adjusted the backpack carrying the wood.

"Come on Eren let's head back",she said as she turned to her adoptive brother before tugging his hand lightly. Eren was still glaring but decided to leave with Mikasa.

As they started to walk down the hill, I got down from my tree. Feeling the grass beneath my feet for the first time in hours. I didn't own shoes and I didn't own many clothes either. I flattened out my dirty white dress that went to just above my knees where it was all torn and ragged. My (h/c) hair had fallen in to my face as I had flattened my dress, when I brushed it out of the way with my fingers I saw those same angry green eyes that belonged to Eren come into contact with mine while he was walking, he turned his head again just before he disappeared with Mikasa behind the hill.

"Hey Mikasa, don't tell anyone I was crying", Eren asked facing his adoptive sister.

"I won't...", Mikasa said in response, however something was still bothering her.

"Eren why were you crying? Was it a bad dream",the girl inquired.

" I can't remember...", was Erens reply as he looked down at his feet, as the pair continued there way towards the gate that led to the town.

I sighed and started making my own way down the hill myself. Your probably wondering how I can cope with so much hate and disgust being directed towards me? Well I guess I just adjusted to it? That doesn't sound very nice I know. When I was younger it was a lot harder, I didn't understand why they hated me back then. But I do now, they hate me because I'm different, because I have abilities they don't have themselves. Some I understand may be seen as freakish and unnatural but do I really deserve to be treated this way?

I used to think I must deserve it purely because I didn't have any other explanation for their hate but now I know better. Humans naturally fear different. Different equals bad therefore they grow to fear it, and to hate it to defend themselves. Because that's how humans are they will always defend themselves no matter who they have to hurt in the process.