Chapter 25: Not Her Pimp

Start from the beginning

Kimmy lifted an eyebrow. It seemed like he didn't know who Violet was. Otherwise, would he really have the face to brag about his wealth? The Lo's were indeed rich, but they couldn't hold a candle to the Lee family's multi-billion dollar corporation.

But she still probed further to make sure he really didn't know about Violet being the daughter of the Lee's. He really didn't. All Duncan knew of her was the fact that she was Adam's ex-girlfriend. Grace met Violet, a healthcare volunteer worker, at the children's hospital where she and Adam were doing their pediatric clerkship, and that Adam had rejected her because of her. Ever since then, Grace had seen Violet as a love rival.

Kai listened to Kimmy's report attentively. He leaned against his car with one hand in his pocket, waiting for Violet to come out.

Kimmy told him that Henry had confirmed Grace's involvement from the message exchange between Grace and Duncan, an exchange they had dug from Duncan's confiscated phone.

Other than his confession and the messages exchanged between him and Grace, they had also found two small vials of the alleged drug inside Duncan's jacket pocket.

"We have enough to charge him with a narcotic offense, inflicting bodily harm on others, and arranging prostitution, sir," Kimmy said.

"Not yet. Wait until the twenty-four-hour limit has passed. Then, charge him," Kai instructed. His deep and rich voice carried a tinge of coldness.

"One more thing, sir."

"Yes?"

"Duncan Lo is the son of Desmond Lo."

Kai's gaze sharpened. "Of Lo Construction Holdings?"

"Yessir. The one and only," Kimmy answered. "And he seems to exhibit a degree of animosity toward his father."

"I'll be there shortly." Kai hung up the phone. A corner of his lips arched a little yet his eyes remained unreadable.

He straightened himself, no longer leaning against his car. "I need to go to the bureau. Please bring her home," he told Lauren. "Take a cab. Don't drive and don't let her drive."

"Yessir!" Lauren saluted, momentarily forgetting that she wasn't his subordinate in the Police Force.

***

Not long after Kai drove away, Violet emerged from the dormitory building. She had changed into a knee-length sheath dress in a dusky pink color underneath an oversized cream cardigan. She was looking forward to seeing Kai and felt a tinge of regret when Lauren informed her that he had left.

"Oh..." Violet mumbled with dull eyes. She fixed her gaze on the spot where Kai's car had been.

"Is anything the matter, Miss Lee? Did you forget something in his car?" Lauren asked, seeing a hint of unhappiness that was etched on Violet's face.

"No. But why didn't he wait for me? Was I taking too long?"

"No, miss. Superintendent Wu received an important phone call from the bureau. He left promptly after that."

"I see..." Violet sighed, unable to hide her disappointment. "But I don't even have his number..." She then turned to look at Lauren with a scrunched-up face and exclaimed, "And I still have his clothes! How am I supposed to return them if I don't have his number?"

Lauren tilted her head sideways with her brows knitted. She didn't quite understand the fuss. Why couldn't Miss Lee return Superintendent Wu's clothes if she didn't have his number? She could just get someone to send it to him. After all, she'd stayed the night at his place, so she should know where he lived.