Four: Light and Shadow Duel it Out!

Ghost's POV

"Finally, the library is clean," I moaned, slamming my face on a nearby table. It cause a small crack to form on my mask, but near the left eyehole. Thankfully, no void was leaking out. I didn't wanna turn into a shade(that would be the second time that would happen today) again. I lifted my head up and looked at Ori.

She too, was happy that the library was clean. Then, my eyes swelled when I saw her pull out a glowing sword! The blade shone as she rubbed it with her hand and gave it a small swing. Ori then saw the wide eye me that I was. She giggled a bit. "I learnt sword techniques back at home. I'm also an excellent sword master like you, Ghost!" Ori said, swinging her blade back into mist.

Rubbing my eyes, I realized that the crack in my mask was gone. Did Ori heal me again or something? When I looked at Ori again, I did realize that she was worn out a bit from cleaning up the library. "Aren't you tired?" I asked her. Ori nodded and sat down next to me. She then wrapped her arm around me.

Then, she fell asleep on me. Well, guess she was tired, I thought. I knew that Hornet and Hollow would meet us at the battlegrounds, so I took my cloak off and wrapped it around Ori. I could get a new one later. I let her head rest on my shoulder, and I gave Ori a small kiss on the head. Yes, I started to get feelings for Ori, but did she have feelings for me? I wasn't sure, but if she did, I would be ready to hear them soon.

I felt tired too, so I decided to lay my head on hers. I whispered into one of her ears, "I love you Ori," before I closed my eyes and fell asleep near that same table we were still sitting at, the rain beating on the window outside.

--------------

Ori and I left the library an hour later after that nap we had in the library, and she told me thanks for letting her use my cloak. Before doing anything, I got a new cloak from my room, mostly the one Hornet had sown for me(she has sown most of my cloaks actually).

The new cloak I grabbed was different from the one I let Ori use. It was a more of a greenish-blue with smooth edges instead of spiky, leaf-like edges. Ori liked the cloak I always wore, along with the one I was wearing now. I then thought about Nibel as we headed to the battlegrounds.

"At first, I thought that Nibel wasn't real!" I said, taking my time down the steps. Ori looked surprised. "Really? All this time you thought it was a silly myth or something? I live there thank you!" Ori said, taking my cloak off and wrapping it around her waist. That was the first time I've ever seen someone wrap their cloak(well technically, my cloak) around their waists!

I told Ori about my father, the Pale King, and my connection to Hollow(before I discovered he was my brother.). Ori was surprised by all of this. She loved hearing what I had to say about everything I've went through. I told her about Radiance too: how she and her infection disappeared after when I defeated her, and when Hollow was returned from being corrupted.

Ori's ears drooped at the sound of corruption. "Ghost, can I ask you something?" she asked. I nodded my head and smoothed my new cloak out. "What happened if..... you took Hollow's place as the new Hollow Knight.... wouldn't you be all corrupted and chained up in that temple and face the same fate as he did?" I never thought about that. If I did become the new Hollow Knight, would I really face the same fate as Hollow did? I wasn't sure, but I wanted to think about it later.

Sprouting a new void tendril, but from my back this time, I rubbed her shoulders and then, the top of her head. She giggled again. "Oh Ghost! Your tendrils tickle me sometimes!" she said through laughs. I even laughed myself, but I realized that we were near the battlegrounds, so I made the tendril droop on the floor. It looked like I had a tail!

Hornet and Hollow were sparing, and the Hornet spotted me and Ori coming out. "Little Ghost! Ori! There you two are! What took you so long?" Hornet asked. I began to fluster at the name of Little Ghost. Ori and Hollow laughed at the same time. "W-what's so funny about that?" I said, getting angry. Ori then stroked my head and dragged me over to one end of the battlefield.

Hornet and Hollow then walked towards the bench, cheering us on. Ori pulled out her amazing glowing light sword as I pulled out my nail. I felt a void like aura fill my body. I was ready for battle. I swung my nail and said, "Hey Ori, good luck!" Ori smirked at me and replied, "Oh yeah, what are you, a shade god or something? Show me what you got!"

Shade god? Why would she call me that? Was I connected to an actual shade god or something? I looked over at Hollow and Hornet, and they looked confused themselves. "Alright, I'm ready Ori. Come at me!" I shouted Hollow then started the battle for us. Ori swung her blade at me but I dodged, and I was able to fire my shade at her, which caused her to swing back. "Hey! Guess you are a shade god! You control your shade nicely!" she shouted, wiping the void from horns and ears.

I laughed and said, "Thanks Ori! Not bad yourself!" I lost my train of thought, because Ori slashed her blade in my mask, causing a crack to appear in it. Oh shoot, I thought. My void is leaking out again, just like earlier! Now what?  Ori smirked again. I had to get back in the game! Regaining my strength, I then fired my void spell and full volume and lashed it at Ori. Once she was down, I sprouted void tendrils, two on my back and then my arms becoming tendrils, and I grabbed Ori's arms and legs with them.

I then started wracking her as I moved my tendrils around the arena. Ori moaned, and then grabbed her blade. My eyes grew large as she sliced all of my tendrils, and then, sliced my mask off my face. Then there I was. I was a shadow again. I looked at Ori and crossed two of my tendrils together. Hollow and Hornet clapped. "Ori, that was incredible! Battle me next!" Hornet said with a laugh.

Ori laughed. "I might duel you two next time," she said. Ori turned towards me and shook my tendril. "Good match! If we do it again, you might win!" That's when I saw her fluster a bit. I knew it! She does have feelings for me! I thought. 

It was a good thing that Hornet had her silk with her, cause she was able to fix my mask for me. When I returned to normal, the three of us left the battlegrounds. I wondered why Ori came here in the first place. I guess I could ask her when we head to the town.

I asked her, "Wanna go to the City of Tears?" Ori then squealed happily and hugged me. "Yes! I'd love to!" she said. Hornet looked at Hollow. "Well, let's join them!" Hollow piped. Hornet, not auguring, agreed to go as well.

I was excited to show Ori the City of Tears. It really was the most beautiful place I've ever been to in all of Hallownest. I also needed a break from using too much energy after all! We headed to the main entrance of the White Palace, and I couldn't hold my excitement! "Ori," I told her. "Welcome to the City of Tears."