Fifteen: Into the Dark and Into the Ruins

The Forlorn ruins haven't changed ever since I last came here. I still saw the frozen Gumon and the light vessel ahead of me. But something didn't seem right. I saw weird orange splotches around the main entry way on the ruins. I waked up to it, but Ghost pulled me back.

"Ori! Be careful! That's infection!" Ghost shouted. I looked back at him, confused. "Infection?" I echoed. Hornet facepalmed herself and came over to me. "Yeah. Infection once caused Hallownest to go into chaos all because of her. Radiance," she said. I got even more confused. Who was this Radiance they spoke of?

Hollow jerked his head back and then turned his back on us, putting his hands up to his head. "What's up with him?" I asked again, pointing at Hollow. "Let's just say that, our father, the Pale King, used him to seal away Radiance and her infection. He doesn't like it when we talk about that stuff," Hornet said again. "But onto the subject. Radiance is the one responsible for the infection, and if she's spread it here, then Nibel could be in danger. We have to act fast."

Soon enough, more infection splotches appeared on a rock next to us. Hornet was right. If the infection was starting to spread, then my home could fall into darkness again. I also didn't know if Radiance is here waiting to pounce on us. Looking up at Hornet, I said, "Yes. Let's be on our guard at all cost."

Hornet told Hollow that he could put his hands down, and also said that she told me about the infection and Radiance. We then began our climb up. Me and Ghost were on Ku, and Hollow and Hornet were together. I looked back at Ghost, who was twiddling his hands. I wanted to ask him how I felt, but how could I do it?

As we fought infected monsters and shadow wisps, we came across a spiky terrain. Worst being with the cold wind wiping ourselves. I kind of remembered this section from so long ago, but I spotted infection coming right at us. "MOVE!" Hornet yelled. The four of us hopped on the platforms as we made our way to the main core of the room.

Ghost was lagging behind, so as we ran, he made a tendril to grab my tail as we headed off. Once we arrived at the spirit well, we all could use a break from the running, and Ghost let go of my tail. "Is everyone.... ok?" Hollow asked through pants. "Well, yes," Ghost said moaning.

Looking over, we saw that the infection trail had stopped following us. I had a bad feeling about this, but what if Radiance made that trail to try and infect all of us? "I think," I started. "That Radiance has something to do with this." Ghost then shook me back and forth and shouted, "ARE YOU CRAZY?! SHE GOT DESTROYED NEARLY A YEAR AGO!" His scream echoed through the empty ruins.

Hornet rubbed Ghost's shoulders and told him to breathe in and out. Hornet then gestured me to explain. "Well, if Radiance was banished from Hallownest, she wanted to find another world where she could spread her disease and infect others. She might be the one responsible for all of this, even if we cannot see her or not," I said through huffs.

Ku had launched herself onto Hornet this time, and she didn't care for the owlet being in her horns for once. "How about we rest, and then continue the adventure? We can all take down the dark matter here if we work together," Ghost said. I nodded and we all rested for a bit at that same spirit well.

???'s POV

They must be here, they have to, since they managed to escape my infection, I thought, looking down at the Forlorn Ruins. I had infected most of the area, but how do I infect the other lands of Nibel? I haven't even killed anyone yet! I've only killed thousands of innocent bugs before that nasty Shade Lord and his vessel friend nearly killed me!

Something had told me that the exact same vessel was here, with some allies, to stop my plan. I was banished from Hallownest and was sent back to the dream realm, but this time, it won't happen again! I will not disappear from Nibel after everything I've put into it! They even managed to escape that infection trail I sent at them. Blast them!

I had recovered my light, and once they came and destroyed my precious infection around the core, I'd be ready for them, and I will destroy the Shade Lord and that vessel! No matter how hard they'll be against me!