Something in the way

Start from the beginning

"Agreed," I respond with enegry. I dont want to scare her off with my usual standoffishness. We walk side by side heading to hogsmeade. "Do you think we could stop at the hogs head? I need to pick some firewhiskey up for Iris."

"Of course," She responds, sliding her small purse back onto her shoulder before it can slip, "I might actually pick up some firewhiskey too, while we're there."

"Lily buying alcohol? Underage? Thats how I know we hardly talk anymore," I comment as she shoves me lightly.

"Its for James, not me. I haven't changed that much," She snickers.

☽☽☽

We enter the three broomsticks and the aromas of tea, peppermint and butterbeer instantly hit my nose. My mouth waters as I enter closer inside.

"Will you order me a chamomile tea, please?" I politely ask Lily as she shifts towards the barkeep.

"Sure thing!" She calls. I look around for the least dirty table, ending up taking a seat at a booth near the front windows.

Lily regroups with me and we sit in an awkward silence. Carefully avoiding each others eyes.

"Will this be all ladies?" The hostess asks as she sets the white mugs on the table.

"Yes, thank you," Lily responds kindly. The middle aged lady smiles and nods as she walks away.

We both raise the cups to our lips, grateful for a reason not to make awkward small talk. Steam rises from the hot liquid into my eyes.

"Well that isn't very good,"

"This taste like shit,"

Lily and I mutter at the same time. When I finally look at her, we're both making disgusted faces that cause us both to burst out laughing.

Setting my cup back down, "I'm glad we're doing this. But what made you decide to talk to me?" I ask as my laughter dies down.

"At the party or yesterday?"  Lily questions as she tears open multiple packets of sugar.

"The party," I specify. "But yesterday too, I suppose."

Lily shifts in her seat uncomfortably.

"Honestly, Remus convinced me to come by telling me that you had invited me," She says. "When I found out you hadn't actually invited me, I wanted to clear the air. Thankfully, you weren't upset when you saw me at the party,"

My heart rate increases from the mention of his name. Visions of him kissing my neck appear for a split second. I clear my throat and follow Lily's lead, tearing open sugars and dumping them into the bitter tea. 

"No, I wasn't upset, just...thankful,"

She raises her brows, "Thankful?"

"Yeah, some pretty intense things have happened lately and its been pretty difficult to deal with, all i've been wanting to do is talk with you." So I guess what I'm saying is, im thankful for Remus. No denying he's the reason we're here.

She unwraps her scarf and leans forward. "What kind of things? If you don't mind me asking,"

"Things like getting attacked by a werewolf," I chuckle dryly.

She freezes.

I freeze.

The look of disbelife and concern on her face gives me deja vu as im reminded of coming here with Iris. Before she can ask any questions, I go into the whole spiel about the details. She doesn't inturrupt often but when she does its simple, fragmented sentences. Oh no. Thats horrible. I'm so sorry. I never catch a glimpse of pity on her face which I am eternally grateful for. By the end of the story, both of our cups are empty and more people have began occupying the booths to begin their day-drinking.