[Ch: 18] The Conversation

Auston Matthews' POV

This game tonight is important. Very important. It's like if your first NHL game was game seven of the Stanley Cup finals, yet people already knew how good you were. I hadn't been this nervous for a game since my rookie night. Mitch had told me how great Hayley's dad was. This ultimately gave me the confidence to call him before Hayley could get a chance.

- the conversation

It was the night Mitch, Steph, Hayley and I went out to celebrate their engagement. After everyone had gone home after I had stayed up talking to Mitch about the future. We both talked about our lives in Toronto and what we want to do when we retire. Retirement feels like a whole world away, but it will come up fast.

"So you're going to be the Patrick Marleau to some guys with all your kids. Steph is your Christina—" I say to Mitch.

"Yeah and Hayley is your Christina." Mitch cuts me off.

"I agree." This is probably the first time I'm not denying my love for Hayley in front of someone else.

"Has she ever talked about her dad to you?"

"No."

"You gotta get to know Dale. He's amazing. He was my second dad in London. Hayley is good at hockey, but Dale is so good at coaching and skills."

"I could only imagine."

"Let me set you guys up on the phone. I've got his number here some where." He looks through his phone.

"Okay. What would I say to him?"

"Uh.. tell him about anything. You guys have the same interest. Hayley and hockey."

"Okay, I think I can do that. I mean, he knows who I am kinda."

"I'm sure it will be fine."

— the next morning

The next morning I woke up and it was a later practice so I decided to call Dale. I was sitting looking out the window with my coffee taking in the sun when I decided to dial the number Mitch had given me.

"Hello?" A voice says on the other line.

"Hi, it's Auston Matthews calling. Is this Dale?"

"It is," I can hear the worry in his voice.

"I'm sure you know, I'm one of Hayley's teammates here—"

"Is there something wrong with her?" He asks frantically.

"No. I-I was calling because Hayley and I have started seeing each other and Mitch has told me what a great guy you are and I'd like to get to know you."

"I see. Mitchy put you up to this?" He laughs. Good, I thought.

"I talked to him, but it was mostly my idea. I just wanted to ask if it was okay? I know that you are such a big part in her life and I just wanted you to know that I love her and that I would do anything for her."

"Thank you Auston. I've seen the media and I wondered if the one ice chemistry was there off the ice. Let me ask one question. Do you love her?"

"Dale, I love her so much it hurts. I don't know what I'd do without her."

"That's good son. I'm glad, you both deserve it."

"Do you want to come to the next home game in a few days? I'd love to meet you in person."

"Well, uh I think we can make that work."