Chapter 22 - Dorian

Dorian and Manon would've blended in perfectly with the army of witches—were it not for the fact that they were the only ones riding one wyvern together.

After leaving Aelin, Dorian had winnowed directly to Manon. He'd wrapped his arms tightly around her waist and leaned his head on her back, trying to squash the sickness before it could take a hold of him.

Winnowing was useful, but he wouldn't be doing it again, unless it was absolutely necessary.

Falling off wyvern-Lysandra hadn't helped his case.

"Aelin is racing for the front," Manon commented, her eyesight sharp, as her eyes were protected from the harsh winds by her witchy eye-film.

Dorian groaned vaguely into her back.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm—" Arms circled his waist, and the next moment, he was gone.

Cursing loudly and creatively, Dorian tried desperately not to throw up. Why did everyone have to winnow? Couldn't they just normally kidnap him?

"Dorian Havilliard," a voice drawled from the shadows. It sounded very much like a voice Dorian knew very well and really did not want to remember.

"Asshole," Dorian answered.

A chilling laugh came from the shadows.

Scanning the room, Dorian tried to figure out where he could be. The room was dark and humid, the scent of mold invaded his nose. Walls of brick surrounded them. Every part of the room screamed abandonment, the only thing that stood out was a set of chains.

"What do you want?" Dorian asked, even though he had a pretty solid idea of what the valg king wanted.

"Aelin Galathynius. Can't have her stopping me from taking complete control, from freeing these lands from unnecessary wars, now can we?"

"Ah, so you're doing this from the goodness of your heart?"

"People will always look for a strong leader, Dorian, something you cannot claim to be. Neither you, nor the girl-queen."

Dorian lifted a perfect eyebrow. "And you are that strong leader? You, who stays hidden in the shadows when talking to an enemy? Who sent his people out to the battlefield, but did not deign to join them?"

"I will join them soon, and I will lead them to victory, but some other things need to be settled first." He waved his hand, the little light available catching on the many rings adorning his fingers. Guards charged forward from where they'd been standing in the shadows.

They darted for the chains, wrapping them securely around Dorian's wrists. The chains glowed a faint blue.

Dorian waited patiently, his gaze fixed on the king. "Is this really necessary?" He lifted his now manacled hands. The valg didn't bother to answer.

On the outside, Dorian's face was calm, annoyed and slightly amused. On the inside, he was shaking in his knee-high boots.

With dread coursing through his veins, he reached out to his magic. Aelin had better been right about this. 

He knew he volunteered to do this part, but that didn't mean that he had to like it.

His well wasn't out of reach. Just to check, Dorian let a thin layer of frost cover his hands, which were chained behind his back.

It was easy, effortless. Aelin had been right, thank the gods.

He broke the ice and erased any evidence of his magic being with him, while making sure to keep his face masked with the same annoyed look.

Tremendous power shook the earth, and Dorian swore he could hear the faint sound of a far away battle cry.

"It seems like your fire-breathing bitch-queen is busy," Hybern mused, "I wonder what she would trade to get her best friend back." He finally stepped out of the shadows.

***

As they walked through the abandoned hallways, Dorian still couldn't get Hybern's face out of his mind—at least, what he remembered of it.

He'd expected him to be gorgeous, to be cold and cruel, with sharp features, like Erawan and the valg princes, but he wasn't. His black hair was about chin-length and greasy, and his face was on the long side. He was just so—so plain.

He was the kind of guy you saw at the market on Friday, and if you saw him again the next week, you wouldn't have known. You wouldn't have recognised him.  

Dorian was thoroughly confused. 

That didn't stop him, however, from informing Feyre about every turn they'd taken since they'd passed the Cauldron.

That thing was dangerous, from what Dorian had heard. They needed to neutralise it before it could do any more damage than it already had. 

They exited the tunnels, which just happened to be situated in the forest right next to the battlefield they'd chosen.

Hybern and several guards tugged Dorian around the battle, towards the front. Towards Aelin.

She was very visible, fallen soldiers coated the floor around her. She moved like a storm, destruction following her, as not a singular enemy within reach was left alive.

Since she had to save some for the inevitable battle with Hybern, she barely used her magic, but that didn't make her any less dangerous.

Hybern marched on, his eyes trained on Aelin.

She looked up, her eyes landing on Hybern. Without breaking their staredown, she cut down another one of his soldiers.

"Aelin Galathynius!" Hybern boomed over the field. "I have captured your friend."

Aelin didn't show any worry as a smirk settled on her face. "I see."

If the little reaction bothered Hybern, he didn't show it. "You will leave this battle, and Dorian Havilliard will keep his live."

"Oh you think this is a choice?" Aelin lifted an eyebrow. "I can't go home until you're all gone, until we've won. So, no can do."

Hybern laughed. The horrible sound rattled over the battlefield. It made all hairs on Dorian's arms stand up straight. "You cannot win, Aelin. You're merely one fae. You cannot defeat me, not alone, and not with your friends. Your full power would barely be enough to delay me, but even that will not happen now."

Aelin smiled slightly, and Dorian knew it was directed at him.

"I am Celaena Sardotien, Lillian Gordaina and Dianna Brackyn. I have become Adarlan's Assassin, and the King's Champion, Witch Slayer and Gods Killer. I am the Heir of Ash and Fire, the Heir of Brannon and the Heir of Mala Fire-Bringer. I am Aelin of the Wildfire, Fireheart, and Elentiya. The Queen Who Walked Between Worlds, and The Queen of Flame and Shadow, Queen of Terrasen and the Faerie Queen of the West." Her smirk widened to a full out grin. "The fire-breathing bitch-queen.

"But most importantly, my name is Aelin Ashryver Whitethorn Galathynius, and you just got delayed."

Dorian had freed himself from the chains, and when Hybern whirled around, he smiled, gave him a thumbs up, and disappeared.

***

I am so sorry that this is so disappointingly short.

It took AGES because I was seriously stuck. I hope I'll be able to write the next update quicker.

(I was so stuck I completely rewrote it to Dorian as you see here. That wasn't the original plan.)

I hope you enjoyed what it became.

Tell me what you thought?

ALSO THANKS SO MUCH, I checked the book yesterday and 6.8k reads???? #1 in acowar and #3 in Aelin???? I never even hoped for this, thank you.

Hope you're enjoying the story, it's pretty close to the end now. See you next time (hopefully)! :)