Chapter 14: Sacrifice

Start from the beginning

"HOLD ON, there's another distress signal coming through! It's from the other planet!" Pidge shouted in alarm. She played the distress signal through the comms.

"TO ANYONE OUT THERE, THE GALRA ARE ATTACKING WITH A VICIOUS MONSTER! WE NEED URGENT ASSISTANCE IMMEDIATELY!!"

"Great... more than one planet in trouble..." Mathias muttered to himself.

"Pidge, scan that planet! How many ships are attacking it?" Keith called out.

"Looks like a large fleet, lots of ground forces and the guest appearance of the beast," She returned.

"Alright, what about the other one that's being attacked?" Keith asked.

"Looks like a few small ships and some ground forces, not as bad as the other planet, but still an alarming number," Pidge replied, looking at the planet from her Lion. It looked so much like Earth, it almost startled her.

"Here's the plan. Hunk, Pidge, Mathias, go to the second planet! The rest of us will go to this one and deal with the fleet and the monster!" Keith commanded.

"Objection!" Mathias' voice rang out in the comms. Everyone else gave a confused hum. "With all due respect, you don't know how powerful that monster might be! You might need Voltron! That's why I'm going alone to the second planet!"

"Mathias, no! It's too dangerous! Your fighter might not be able to take it!" Pidge argued.

"I'm aware of the possible risks, but I can take care of myself!" Mathias retorted.

"Mathias is right. We don't know how strong that monster is! We may need Voltron at our side," Lance interjected. A murmur from the others said similar things. Pidge let out a sigh, he was right. They may need all the power they have in Voltron to save those citizens.

"Alright, then it's settled. We're going down to the first planet to fight the monster. Once we defeat Galran Forces here, we'll rendezvous with Mathias on the second planet and assist him there," Keith stated, and everyone nodded. As Mathias prepared to depart for the second planet, The Green Lion suddenly floated next to the fighter. Pidge appeared on the screen of his console, she looked worried.

"Please, be careful..." she spoke with concern laced in her voice.

Mathias took a deep breath, "I'll try."

"You better do more than try, or I'll personally beat your ass and make you understand!" she responded before the screen ended and the Green Lion swerved off and raced towards the first planet. Mathias chuckled to himself as he approached the light yellow-green planet.

He flung his fighter in full power as he dashed for the second planet and broke through the atmosphere.

When he arrived, he could see a mass of Galran fighters and ground troops massing and assaulting a small outpost. It was a box like structure, but massive in size, surrounded by thousands of unusual trees. It looked like it could store about three cruisers inside of it. A Majority of the structures in the outpost were damaged or destroyed. It almost looked like this was a city at one point in time. There was a massive communications tower that pierced the sky, which is kind of ironic given the fact at how garbled the message they received was and how powerful the tower appeared. Perhaps it was damaged? More than likely. He could see weapons fire from the surface, indicating a resistance was still being put up, but from the way it appeared, it wouldn't last long.

An alarm alerted him that fighters were about to strafe run the helpless defenders below. Quickly putting a plan into action, he configured his fighter into GERWALK mode and swung down to the ground between the ground forces and incoming fighters. Raising the guns on the mecha's arms, he aimed them up at the incoming fighters and opened fire, immediately gunning down and destroying them in a ball of fire. Several more fighters appeared from around a corner of the forest, but they too suffered a similar fate. A laser reflected off of the nosecone of the fighter, but didn't do any damage. The ground forces were beginning their assault on the fighter, as weapons fire bounced off the armor of the VF-31. He swung the guns onto the drones and opened fire. The bullets created small explosions in the ground. It was like deleting multiple files. They never even existed by the end of it, not traces, no remains, just gone. The fire from the Rebels ceased as the fighter's legs touched the ground. The fighter turned around and looked back at the Rebels.