Chapter Sixty Four

A/N: After this chapter, I have two more to post I believe. After that, I don't think I'll upload anymore until the show premieres and I figure out how to tie everything in.  In the mean time, I added two parts to two chapters: the chapter entitled James Buchanan Barnes and the chapter entitled Family conflict. You don't have to read them if you don't wish to. Also, I want to start planning for my next story. I have a few ideas but want to see what people are wanting. I've thought about a Star Wars stories, but I also have a few Marvel ones in mind. I like to write things that are different and that people want to actually read. So please let me know what you guys have been wanting to read. Thank you!

"Thank you for meeting me." Catherine told Rhodey as he took a seat across from her.

"Of course. I must compliment you on your performance at the trial today." Rhodey admitted. "Tony would have been proud."

She took a sip of her Jack and Coke, trying to wash down the lump in her throat at the mention of her brother. "I hope so."

"How are you holding up?" He asked.

She shrugged her shoulders. "As good as I can be. I just miss him like hell. How about you?"

"About the same. We just have to maintain his legacy. Never let the world forget."

Catherine couldn't help but laugh. "I don't think the world will ever forget Tony Stark."

"True. So, why did you call me? I know it wasn't just to have lunch." He asked.

Catherine leaned down to pull a file out of her bag and slid it over to Rhodey. "SHIELD contacted me. They have some intelligence indicating that some people have gotten their hands on some of his old suits and they're replicating it. You and I both know that this technology could be dangerous."

"Let me guess, SHIELD wants me to track down the suits and bring them in?"

"Precisely. They know you have the War Machine suit and you're familiar with Tony's technology. I can give you all the information you need, access codes, weapons. You just have to say yes."

Rhodey sighed and looked at the file again. "Fine. I'll do it, for Tony. The last thing he would want is for idiots to have his technology."

****

It was late by the time Catherine got home from DC. She figured William would be asleep, but could see a light was on in the living room. She dragged her tired body up the stairs and unlocked the door. Her bag hit the floor the moment she saw Bucky. He had cut his hair and holy shit did he look good. If she hadn't been so tired there was a good chance she would be dragging him to their room. It was similar to the hairstyle he had back in the 40's but a little more modernized. It was the first time she had seen him without long hair.

"You're staring." Bucky said, breaking her out of her thoughts.

"You cut your hair." She pointed out.

Bucky stood up from the couch and walked over to her. "And you are very observant." He teased. "Do you like it?"

She beamed up at him and brought a hand up his cheek. "I love it. You look so...handsome. Even more so."

"I know you just got home and it's late, but can we walk about a few things?" Bucky asked, his whole demeanor changing.

"Sure. Everything okay?" Catherine asked as they sat down on the couch together.

"Yeah. I think so. When Sam and I were at Will's practice, we noticed these people staring at us. They weren't trying to be secretive. They wanted us to know they were there." He explained.

Catherine cocked her head curiously. "Can you tell me anything else about them?"

"They were all young, maybe early 20's. Possibly younger than that. No coms. They weren't talking to one another. They all had the same hatred in their eyes. They never approached us." Bucky paused. "They all had something purple. A bracelet, a hat, a scarf."

"I can check SHIELDs database to see if we have anything. We should have a list of all known terror groups. The problem is, these groups are getting smarter. They've specifically targeted younger people since they typically want to invoke change whether it's good or bad. They want their voices heard." Catherine explained as she pulled her laptop out. "And...nothing. That's not surprising given this is the first sighting of them. I did log it though. Maybe it's just some weirdos wanting a rise out of you. Now, what was the other thing?"

Bucky let out a shaky breath. "I wanted to talk about...Steve."

"Steve." Catherine repeated. Up until now they avoided any deep conversations about Steve. She knew it would come up one day though. "What do you want to know?"

"When did it happen, first?" He asked.

"Tony's wedding. It was about two and a half years after the snap. I drank a lot that night, which isn't an excuse, but I was so fucking lonely. He drove me home and...one thing lead to another. And it kept happening." She explained, avoiding his eyes. She was scared of his reaction. She didn't want him to hate her.

"Did you love him?"

"In a way. Not the way I love you though. I wasn't in love with him. We tried to convince ourselves, but I think we both knew we could never let go of Peggy or you."

Bucky stood from the couch and began to pace. Catherine's nervousness grew.  "W-Why Steve? Why my best friend? Of all the people." She could see the hurt in his face.

"He was just there. Tony was busy with Morgan and Pepper. Natasha was trying to find Clint. I felt...I felt like I had no one. Anything I needed, he was there. We were just trying to heal one another and clearly that wasn't a good idea. I thought you were gone forever James. If I had known you would come back one day, I would have never done it. You have no idea how sorry I am and how much I regret it." She tried her best to keep herself together.

"I'm jealous of him. I'm jealous that he got to be there when Will was born and see him grow up. I'm jealous that he got to hold you every night, and I didn't. Instead I was floating around in a black hole."

Catherine stood up and walked over to him timidly, not knowing how much psychical attention he would be okay with from her. She took his hands in her's, thumb running over his wedding ring. "We didn't know what would happen five years ago. We didn't anticipate we would lose either. We did what we had to do. But James, there wasn't a day that went by when I didn't think of you. William knew who his dad was. You are the only person I belong with. You're the person I read about in all those stupid romance novels."

"When did you fall in love with me?" Bucky asked, wrapping his hand around her waist and taking the other hand in his. He began to sway her slowly. They never had the first dance like normal couples and the only other time they had dance was in Berlin.

"Easy. When you took me to that Christmas market when I was 15. The snow was falling all around you and you just looked so...picture perfect. Everything felt so right, but I was only 15." She answered, smiling at the memory.

"So you've always had a thing for older men?" He teased.

"I guess so. What about you?" She asked.

"Before we went to Berlin. Karpov had you fighting against the other soldiers. When I saw you got hurt, something inside of me rose. I realized I never wanted anyone to hurt you again, that I wanted to protect you. Forever."

"Do you forgive me for Steve?"

Bucky gently kissed her. "Of course I forgive you."