Thirty-Four

Rey's eyes flit to the fresh purple bruises on your neck as you settle into your places. You sense her conflict laced with regret. She still carries her desire to be a part of the pleasure-filled existence that you and Kylo now share without her. That desire, you understand, may never fully extinguish in her. Least of all after everything you'd shared. You self-consciously adjust the collar of your shirt, attempting to better hide the evidence.

She'd led you and Kylo to an outbuilding in the woods far enough from the temple complex to be completely isolated. The circular domed structure is crowned by an opening serving as the only light source as well as a vent for the fire pit that sits directly below. The building is not large, but the three of you fit comfortably seated around the center. You notice how quiet the room is once the wooden door is shut tightly against the mud-covered walls.

"I built this place because I needed somewhere to commune with the masters. Somewhere that I could guarantee I'd be undisturbed. They know not to come here," Rey says, referring to the island's inhabitants, young and old alike.

You breathe in the soil-scented air as you fidget with your boots that are crossed in front of you, waiting for her to elaborate on the reason behind bringing you here.

"We are all in agreement," she says, referring to the masters and Kylo as well, "that you should try to connect with the source of energy behind the voices that you're hearing. We will support you and watch over you while you do. And listen, I know you don't agree with us but it is paramount that we find out the motivation behind this before the situation escalates."

She scrutinizes the annoyance you wear like a mask of gaudy makeup, ugly and uncharacteristic. You sense that this solidifies her in her stance.

"We are each vessels in the Force, powerful and powerless all at once."

You nod solemnly.

There is no point in arguing with your nerfheaded companions. Typically you would rush headlong after a new experience. You aren't sure what gives. Something deep within you is pushing back aggressively at exploring this further. You aren't scared, just reluctant.

"Let's do this," you sigh.

Rey accepts your response and places the backs of her hands on the tops of her knees, closing her eyes and breathing deeply. Kylo stares at you, unreadable, for a long moment. He had probably been reading your thoughts, unsure of how to react to them. You shrug and watch him relent. He imitates Rey's body language. Finally, you do the same. Closing your eyes and pushing away your conflict, you take a few deep breaths and clear your mind.

You seek out the place from which you conjure flames, lazily exploring the shadowy mysterious vault within you.

A rushing fills your ears, louder than any windstorm in your memory. You hear a cacophony of incoherent voices mixing with the inferno of sound. Fighting the urge to open your eyes, you focus on trying to isolate any single voice from the roaring mass. Your pulse quickens as the chaotic energy causes your anxiety to skyrocket.

The deepest, most frightening baritone jumps out of the fray and deafening, clear words fill your mind.

"Step into the flames!"

Your eyes snap open and are met with a seething charcoal-black cloud of shapeless forms and debris swirling through the room, obscuring your view of Rey and Kylo. When you do get glimpses of the two of them, they are sitting still with eyes closed, as if oblivious to the storm that threatens to overtake you all.

"Who are you? What do you want?"

Your voice shakes as your inquiry falls flat and almost silent against the roaring noise, absorbed, stomped out completely.