Thirty-Two

The night is eerily still. The smoke emanating from the fire pit rises straight up as you stare into the dancing flames. Daylight is quickly fading, casting a moody purple glow on the poolside patio. Mo and Kaav had joined you and Kylo at the villa after the four of you had wandered the festival fair together. You had thoroughly enjoyed the parade of floats and elaborate costumes while gorging on themed street food.

The easygoing joy of the day still lingers in your subconscious. You recall the feeling of Kylo's palm against yours as well as his casual smile as he listened to you talk about your favorite artists and where you'd find this vendor or that in the maze of booths. Your enthusiasm intermingled with the heightened endorphins of the lingering high infected your brooding escort.

You danced and sang as you dragged him willingly through the streets of the utopia that is Okiwaan during the Festival of the Sea. You bought many things, doling out credits to support the artists and creators whose wares had caught your eye. This afforded you a unique satisfaction. At one point in your life you had sold your art this way and you carry a deep appreciation for what a sale means to the artist.

While you shopped you had run into Tressish who pulled all four of you into one giant group hug in her massive many-limbed embrace.

"The Supreme Leader? I'm impressed," she had whispered in your ear playfully.

She proceeded to make Kylo extremely uncomfortable when she asked him to model for her sometime.

One of the more freeing aspects of the festival drug was the release of emotions as they roiled so very near the surface with the same frenetic energy as the sea itself. Many people openly wept or laughed hysterically in the street, free from judgment or embarrassment.

It wasn't until your feet ached and your stomach complained with over indulgence that you collectively decided it was time to leave. Laden with bags full of art, souvenirs, and treats for later, the four of you had taken up most of the space on the island hopper. You basked in the views and relaxed in a comfortable silence that had continued the entire way home, even as you had moved out to the patio to lounge.

It had been a beautiful day but you are relieved to be home. You smile to yourself as you watch Kaav plant a soft, sweet kiss on Mo's pink cheek. Once they settle back onto the extra wide chaise you finally elect to break the silence.

"What did you think of the festival, Mo?"

"It was perfect, totally lived up to the hype. I can't believe I missed so many years!" She trilled. "You two left pretty early last night. We were there until the crowd began to thin. We followed a group to the east shore to watch daylight break. It was beautiful!"

"I hardly noticed," Kaav said with adoring eyes and a voice thick with emotion. "There was something far more beautiful stealing my attention."

Through glassy tear-filled eyes you watch Mo struggle to find words. They kiss sweetly and smile at one another with their foreheads pressed together.

Feeling a bit self-conscious and intrusive, you decided to tease them.

"Ugh, okay, we get it!"

Kylo smirks.

Mo turns to you, cheeks flush, and says, "Oh, like you two are any better."

She had you there, you hadn't even noticed that Kylo's hand had been wandering up and down your thigh as you played with his hair, grazing his scalp with your nails and massaging his wide muscular neck and shoulders through the thin fabric of the shirt that hugged his body perfectly. It is your turn to blush.

Kaav kisses Mo on the cheek and standing, adjusts the bulge in his pants not even bothering to be discreet about it. He goes inside to make a round of cocktails and you listen to Mo talk about why she had missed so many festivals and how annoyed she was about it. Her brother owns a freighter that shuttles trade goods across the galaxy. She blames him for calling her away for this reason or that.