Chapter 21- Winter

As Christmas inches close, there's excitement in the air as guests from Logan's side of the family decide to visit. Logan has wanted for some time since it's rare he gets family to travel that far from the East Coast.

Enthusiastic, Logan stares out the window as he watches for headlights a few days before Christmas Eve. Lucinda rests on the couch. Her pregnancy misery is misplaced, seeing her husband thrilled to be expecting company.

"Give them time, sweet pea. Jordan and his girlfriend will arrive when they arrive." She tells Logan as he stares out the window.

"I hate that line! I can't wait. Ever since I found out about Jordan being a cousin, it's been years since I've seen him.." He replies, shifting his glasses up the bridge of his nose.

About another hour passes before the headlights from an approaching SUV slowly travels up the driveway.

"THEY'RE HERE!" He shouts, rushing out the door to greet his guests.

The headlights go dark, and the engine is quiet. Logan approaches the passenger side first to assist with his cousin's lady.

"Fair lady, may I help you from your chariot?" Logan says, showing off his inner nerd.

"Aren't you sweet!" He hears from with a Northern accent.

As her hand extends to be helped from the Jeep, Logan takes a firm grip to assist her. The snow crunches under her soft plushy boots.

"Hey, hey now! Hands off my woman!"

All three enjoy a laugh, and Logan helps his cousin carry in the bags. They drop everything off in the spare bedroom then join the girls back out in the living room, where they're properly introduced.

"Lucy, this is my cousin, Jordan Mitchell. Jordan, this is my wife, Lucinda."

Jordan, a tall, dark-haired well-built male in his 20's offers his hand to help her to her feet.

"We hug in this family," Jordan mentions with an easy embrace. "Hi Lucinda, and this is my girl, Britney Goodman."

Britney is a sandy blond beauty with full luscious lips combined with a light southern tan and isn't as good-natured in southern manners as Jordan. She gives Lucinda a handshake and takes a seat.

"I thought Josh and his wife were coming." Lucinda wonders, feeling confused.

"It's the weirdest thing. I haven't heard from him in months. Jordan, you know anything about your brother?"

Unsure of how to follow up that question, Britney takes it upon herself to answer.

"He decided to extend his job in Spain. He's left his wife to fend for herself. If you ask my opinion, he's an asshole."

"Now, hold on a minute, he's on special assignment for the Army, and a man has to do what he has to do for his family. You'll understand when we get there one day." Jordan says, taking up for his brother.

That brief brush against the other's thoughts over the subject creates tension in the room. It's a tension that forces Lucinda to pull herself away from them.

"On that note, if you will excuse me, I have a little one inside of me that's wanting some brownies. If you will excuse me, I'll let y'all catch up."

She exits the room with Logan right behind her and shares a couple of brownies in the kitchen.

"I don't think that was a smart thing to talk about your other cousin. The last thing I wanted to do was start a fight between them." Lucinda admits feeling responsible for a possible argument.