Chapter 5- Origin of Cherry Skies

The next morning at breakfast, Kaitlin again digs about the off-the-wall subject from the night before.

"Mom, penny for your thoughts." Kaitlin begins between bites of her butter pecan pancakes.

"Sure, kid, water is wet, fire is hot, and the skies are picture perfectly blue today." Elizabeth fires back in a sarcastic tone.

Kaitlin finds humor in her mother's response, which nearly forces milk to spout from her nose before she clinches it shut as it begins to burn.

"Well, if that's a penny's worth of thoughts. How about a silver dollar for an old memory then?"

Not even needing a second to see through the smokescreen, Elizabeth sits there interlocking her fingers beating Kaitlin to the question.

"Alright, I'll explain what cherry skies from my mother meant. It's something simple and silly, but I did promise no secrets, and well, I guess I can share this one." Elizabeth says in a calm tone.

Kaitlin is all ears when she drops the fork. She's perked up in the seat, appearing to be very lady-like with hands folded neatly in her lap.

"Well, it started when I was younger. I used to love going with your grandpa out to the horse barn to help with feeding and cleaning out the stalls." Elizabeth begins with eyes about to shut to revisit the memories in her mind.

"I can still smell the hay and the musk in the air even today. Daddy and my grandpa put skylights in before he died to give the horses more sunlight on days they couldn't get them out to run." Elizabeth explains as the laughter of her youthful voice brings back a few good memories, which causes her to pause.

"Daddy, can I take Thunder out for a ride, please, oh please, daddy!"

"Yeah, my sweet little angel, but then daddy has to get his work done for the day, okay. One trip around the fence line and back to her stall."

Frank, her father, straps up the horse and picks up Elizabeth placing her in the saddle.

"You ready, Ellie-Bug?" She remembers him asking with the reigns in his hands.

"Yes, daddy, I'm ready!"

"Then let's go; suns about to set, so it's a good time to see some cherry skies maybe." Mr. Reed teases and points up to the sky as they exit the barn.

Elizabeth takes the reigns as she takes Thunder around the fence line in a slow gallop.

"At a girl, remember to be the one in charge!" Mr. Reed calls out being proud of her willingness to try new things and love for the family ranch at such a young age.

"Okay, daddy, I know! I'm coming back now!" Elizabeth yells from the other end of the fence line picking up a little speed while she squeals in excitement.

The horse prances back into the barn, where Elizabeth returns Thunder to the stall and waits for Frank to remove the saddle and lock her pin again.

He turns attention to the barn door and sees Elizabeth standing there staring off into the evening sun.

"Look, daddy, God, has made the sky red again. He has his bowl filled with cherries again and covered them with whipped cream. It's so pretty, ain't it, daddy. It's so pretty. I never want to leave!"

Frank stops by the door for only a moment to gaze into the sky with his daughter.

"Yeah, it sure is Ellie-Bug, but daddy has to get back to work. Go wash up for supper, and I'll see you then. Be good and help your Ma with anything in the kitchen. Go learn you something and enjoy your cherry skies." Mr. Reed walks away, returning to chores before he calls it quits for the day.