Chapter 6 - Sisters

Elizabeth and Katie arrive at Lucinda's within minutes after departing from the ranch. After Elizabeth shifts to Park and kills the engine, she can't stop herself from crying when she looks over to see Katie's knees curled up into her chest sobbing.

"It will be okay, sweetheart. Grandma isn't suffering anymore. At least you got to meet her."

With a sniffle and her head dipping over her arms, Katie says nothing but continues to whimper. It isn't until Lucinda comes out to the car and opens the door that Kaitlin pulls her head up.

"Hey, hey, now little one, it's okay. Come on inside, and let's get you something to help calm you down." Lucinda says, leaving her older sister a moment to herself.

The aunt-niece duo makes their way through the front room foyer that leads through the dean and into the kitchen, where Katie is given a slice of devil's food chocolate cake smothered in chocolate icing and a tall glass of ice-cold milk.

"This should help, I know, I know, you're watching that girly figure and all, but this isn't your everyday kind of guilt food. It'll help, trust me, always helped your mom when she was sad." Lucinda says with a piece of cake on a plate followed by a cold glass of milk.

What Lucinda did by taking Katie inside allows Elizabeth to break down. She takes a few minutes to cry and calls home when she regains her composure.

"Hey, mom, sup?" Michael Jr. answers.

"I uh, it's that..." she mutters, trying to find the words.

"Everything okay, mom? You don't sound like yourself."

In a single breath, Elizabeth finally calms herself to form a sentence.

"Yes, I mean no, your grandma passed away, and since you're free, I'd appreciate it if you came out here and paid your respects and meet my side of the family."

"Not possible, mother of mine! I already Googled you and your hometown, and yeah, I ain't about to ruin my brand-new car for some country bumpkin." Michael Jr. says in a snotty way.

His comment takes the wind out of Elizabeth's sails. She sits there stunned and ready to reach through the phone to beat her son's insensitive ass.

"You ungrateful little brat! I have been cussed out, talked down to, treated worse than a dog, and had a gun pulled on me since I've been here. I have tolerated your smug, spoiled, entitled attitude for a while, and I've dealt with your limp dick father cheating on me. Now, get in your damn car, put it in gear, and get your ass here, or so help me."

By the time she pauses, a beeping comes from her phone.

"That little brat hung up on me!" Elizabeth shouts with her cheeks turning red.

Fuming at how her only son treated her, Elizabeth loses her cool by beating her fist into her steering wheel. The beating doesn't come to an end until Logan walks out, tapping on her window.

"Whatever it is, the steering wheel didn't do it. I understand that you're hurtin', and there's nothing wrong with letting that anger out. Let me help though, get out and follow me." Logan states standing there not looking anything like Kevin described.

Logan appears cut but not thick in muscle mass in a polo shirt and faded Arizona jeans. Elizabeth is stunned to see her sister picked a country-toned but not a traditional rodeo or cowboy-like guy.

While he strolls out to the barn, Elizabeth drags herself from the SUV and follows several feet behind. Before she's through the barn doors, she hears him grunt and groans with a pounding-like noise from the far side within the big wooden structure.