Advice for BabyBats

Tips for Baby Bats

From a fellow baby bat. With love 🖤

1. Learn about the subculture. The goth subculture has a lot of parts to it and has a long history. Learn about it: watch videos, read books, ask elder goths if you can. You should know what you're getting into.

2. Listen to goth music. Yes, goth is an actual category of music of its own. Many, if not all goths recognize that the subculture would not exist without the music, so it is a must that you look into goth bands and then, y'know, listen to them. 

I won't go into the details or history here (look it up though), but please don't confuse metal, emo, or punk with goth. It isn't the same. Some even argue that you can dress goth all you like, but you aren't truly goth until you dig the music. So go listen.

3. Don't wear religious symbols that you don't understand or out of disrespect. This includes the pentacle or pentagram, and the Egyptian ankh. I think this one speaks for itself -- it's disrespectful.

4. Don't jump right into white foundation. This isn't just for the sake of others (friends and family), but for your sake, too. It isn't easy to jump from your regular skin tone to bright white in a day, especially if you are new to using makeup.

 Even if you're an experienced makeup artist, still go slow. Add a bit of white pigment to your regular foundation, then add more and more (pacing yourself) until you switch over.

5. You don't need to be pale to be goth. Goth isn't just for white or pale people — it's for people of all skin tones. Please don't feel like you have to try and lighten your skin in any way. 🖤

6. Go past the face. If you are using a foundation lighter than your skin tone, cover your ears, neck, and any other skin showing above the chest as well.

 I know white foundation is expensive, so you can use greasepaint anywhere besides your face. Don't use greasepaint on your face unless you use a good moisturizer and primer first. Also, a little goes a long way.

7. The Crow, Marylin Manson, and Nik Fiend makeup don't look good on anyone besides the Crow, Marylin Manson, and Nik Fiend. This is going to sound blunt, but you need to actually put time and effort into your eyeshadow and eyeliner. 

Don't just do big, solid black circles around your eyes. And don't go past the lip line to where you look like the Joker, or your mouth looks like a round, black void. Practice and effort make perfect. 

8. Don't shop at Hot Topic. I am guilty of this too, but not only is it expensive, but it's low quality. "Mall goth" is not a term used kindly by older goths -- don't let the mall goth be you. The best goth outfits are thrifted or homemade anyway.

9. Break the stereotypes. Break the stereotypes that all goths are mean, or depressed, or Satanists. Often, those that enter the subculture and then leave are those who hate their parents and are doing this to spite them, or are attracted to the goth look because of these stereotypes.

 Goths more often than not are lovely, sweet, normal people who happen to like a certain style, and these ~edgy teens~ give goth a bad name. Don't be like them. Just be kind to everyone, it isn't that hard.

10. Don't mind the elitists. It is not up to them to decide who's "goth enough" and who isn't. Everyone starts somewhere, and so did they. Just pay no mind to them, you'll get there soon.

11. Enjoy yourself! We're young, and our younger selves are going to embarrass our older selves no matter what we do. Just do what you can with what you have, and have a good time. :)