Fashion

"Gothic fashion is a clothing style marked by dark, mysterious, antiquated and homogeneous features. It is worn by members of the . , typical gothic fashion includes black hair, dark and dark clothing. Both male and female goths can wear dark and dark nail polish - most often black. Male goths use at a higher rate than other men. Styles are often borrowed from the , and . Goth fashion is sometimes confused with and ." -Wikipedia

The gothic subculture is a fairly new subculture in which its members dress in dark, dramatic clothing with pale skin, and dark hair and makeup. This style of dress was inspired by early horror novels and films and has roots in the beginning of the punk subculture. As time has gone on, more branches of gothic style have been created.

 It is now a very popular subculture that can be seen on and off the runway. However, members of this subculture can often deal with criticism and judgement from the general population.

To outsiders, the goth scene is all just one big pile of black clothing and heavy makeup. The reality is that, just like any other social group, there are different subsets within the goth culture, each with their own unique looks, personal tastes, and musical choices.

 This article will help you to identify the types of goth styles out there and guide you towards your best fit. Now, this is by no means a comprehensive list, as each subculture can be further parsed into smaller and smaller subcategories- but this is a basic, overarching guide to show the foundations.

The goth subcultures are bridged by several factors. Most groups are very well read, with a special focus in classic literature. Philosophical and sociological topics are often common, with Nietzsche being discussed commonly. 

In media, some bands are prevalent in just about every group, like Nine Inch Nails, and movies by Tim Burton are usually received well by all. In addition, most goths are intelligent, creative, and socially very comfortable with their circle of friends, but quiet around 'normals' (usually because they are deciding if they like you or not). Despite these similarities, there are many differences.

Buy lots of basic, black pieces of clothing. This color has long been considered a staple of gothic fashion. Work it into your new wardrobe as the main color of your outfit. Invest in plenty of plain socks, pants, tops, and skirts during your first shopping trip. You can't start building outfits you like if you don't own the essential pieces of clothing.

T-shirts are a great piece of clothing to start building your wardrobe with. They are easy to find, inexpensive, and come in many styles. For a more feminine style, buy an over-sized T-shirt and pair it with high socks or fishnet stockings, boots, and jewelry.It's perfectly acceptable to not want to wear all black all the time. Add a bit of variety to your outfits by mixing in other colors, such as red, grey, white, violet, blue, or pink.

Stock up on distressed clothing. Distressed, or ripped, tops and bottoms are one of the most commonly worn styles across almost every gothic subculture. Look for denim jeans or shorts with tears on the legs, or tops with tearing along the body or frayed edges.

Consider wearing distressed denim jeans with a black T-shirt, combat boots, and studded bracelets.

Play around with graphic prints. Occult patterns are a staple for gothic fashion. Keep an eye out for any patterned/graphic clothing featuring pentagrams, moons, stars, skulls, or crosses.