Chapter 1- Irritated kind of Day

Everyone believes it's all fun and glory under the Southern California sunshine. The warmth soaks into your skin, the sounds of the waves against the surf along the beaches. That's not always the case, and sometimes those illusions are just that, illusions. From small towns all over the nation, young people believe the hype from commercials and movies.

Nearly twenty years have flown by for one such individual who fled her hometown of Tender Springs, Colorado, for the fast-paced lifestyle at UCLA who studied to become a family doctor in Anaheim.

It's barely six o'clock when Elizabeth Phillips listens to her alarm chime from her phone.

"Ugh..." She groans and rolls over to sit on the edge of her bed.

Once the drowsiness fades away, she gets to her feet to stretch her toned figure before jumping in the shower.

"Okay, today is a new day, kids aren't going to drive me crazy, and Michael will be home tonight. Life is good. Life is finally getting good again." She tells herself without a bit of confidence.

Under the steaming water, Elizabeth works her fingers through her thick long, almond brown hair. With her eyes shut, she travels back to the day when everything crumbled in her life.

"You're no daughter to me no more!" She remembers her father telling her when she told him about being accepted to UCLA.

That's not the only memory invading her rattled mind, "If you marry that liberal bastard, I will permanently disown you! You have a good man right up the road who's waited four years on your sorry ass! You marry Michael, don't ever come back to this house, you little tramp!"

Those were her father's last words when she went to tell them about her engagement and pregnancy after being accepted to medical school. After a couple of tears, Elizbeth shuts off the water when a knock comes from the bathroom door.

"Mom, hey mom, I need breakfast made pronto!" Her son Michael Jr. also known as MJ, yells through the door.

"Coming, son, just make you a couple of Pop-Tarts or some peanut butter toast!" Elizabeth yells with a towel wrapped around her torso.

After she's dried off and picks out scrubs for the day, Elizabeth joins her impatient son and spoiled daughter out at the kitchen table.

"God, mom, it's about time. I mean, really, daddy comes home today and like I have to get to cheer camp. I need my grapefruit; you know I have to have it! Come on; mom, get a move on!" Kaitlin demands, tapping her foot against the floor.

"Get off my back, you two. You're more than capable of doing things for yourself!" Elizabeth huffs and gives her two brats a hateful look for just a second.

The teenagers are baffled and take a couple of steps backward when her tone comes across as harsh and bitter.

"Someone needs to get laid tonight," Michael Junior comments in a snarky way that nearly gets him slapped, but Elizabeth misses.

"I've had just about enough of that smart-ass mouth of yours, M.J. Keep it up, and I'll make sure it'll be after graduation before you get a car of your own." Elizabeth threatens with her hands on her hips. A sign that she means business.

Kaitlin stands there and laughs at her brother while he stands there with his mouth dropped wide open when Kaitlin makes an inappropriate remark.

"Look, just like when he's with his friends, a dropped jaw; just need to be on your hands and knees now!"

That remark causes Michael Junior to stomp out the front door and slams it with all his might.

"Katie! That kind of comment is uncalled-for young lady. You go apologize to your brother right this instant!" Elizabeth commands, pointing towards the door.