Episode 38

----------------------------------------------

Joe and Demi were laid on the floor in the nursery that was made for their daughter months back cuddled up to each other and in blankets. They wanted to be near Nevaeh as much as they could not knowing when a problem could occur and she would need to be put on oxygen over night just to ensure that her breathing was regular and it wouldn't change overnight, the tank was in her room and wasn't something they wanted to move so for the next couple of nights they would spend the night on the floor by the side of their daughter until they knew what her sleeping patterns were and what could potentially happen through the night.

"Thanks for doing this with me, I know I said I could do it alone but I'm not so sure I could anymore." Demi admitted breaking the silence between them that was comfortable. She didn't speak too loudly because of Nevaeh.

"It's no problem, we're like a proper family now that we're together and she's finally here." Joe answers Demi smiling liking the sound of having a family with him, it had been a long four months but they were both glad they could at least meet their daughter knowing that some parents lose theirs before they even greet the world.

"Would you ever think about expanding our family in the future?" Demi questioned biting her lip gently not knowing what his reaction would be. She could tell he loved kids and being around them but whether he would want more of his own was another question especially when she was a pair to this gene he carries.

"I'm sorry Demi but I don't think so, I couldn't go through this for a third time," Joe said honestly Demi coming close to tears which he could sense. He only held her tighter kissing her head gently. "But hey there's always kids out there who was adopting and babies in other countries looking for a home, just because we can't have our own it doesn't mean we can't give another child a chance at being happy." Joe sighed when Demi said another word, he would understand why if she walked out on him. If they were to have another baby it was just like flipping a coin, heads their baby would have Spinal Muscular Atrophy, tails they wouldn't but that wasn't a risk Joe wanted to take for the sake of himself and the people he loved.

Nevaeh woke up a couple of times through the night either for a change or a feed which again was fed straight into her stomach through a tube but other  than that Joe and Demi were on the floor Demi's duvet covering them. It wasn't comfortable but they would do anything for their daughter. Demi stood up stretching out her limbs, she barely ached from giving birth anymore but it had been a week. She sighed looking down at Joe who was fast asleep on the floor.

"Let's go downstairs and leave daddy be shall we?" Demi cooed into the crib unhooking her daughter from the oxygen machine switching it off before bring her up in her arms. Demi kissed her head gently before making her way downstairs. "What are you guys doing here?" Demi walked into the living room seeing her two best friends on the couch watching TV.

"We thought we'd come and see how you're doing, where were you? We checked both your bed but you were both gone." Nick said.

"We slept on the floor in Nevaeh's room, she needs to be on oxygen through the night and we wanted to keep an eye on her." Demi explained laying Nevaeh down in the crib slumping on the couch next to Selena sighing.

"What's wrong?" Selena inquired this time.

"Joe doesn't want to expand a family in the future," Demi stated looking at them. "He's scared he or she will develop SMA again, maybe I should break up with him. Then he could be with a girl and have a family with her not having to worry about this." Nick kneeled down in front of her holding her hand to stop it from shaking.

"Don't talk stupid Demi, he wouldn't want that." Nick demands Demi beginning to cry.

------------------------------------------------

Comments please!