Chapter 24: Are We Friends?

Start from the beginning

He was right. Why should she care about what that guard was thinking? It wasn't like she would meet him again after today.

"But... what about your own reputation, Mr. Wu?" she asked. "You're a police superintendent. Shouldn't you care about your good name? What if this became the subject of that man's gossip?"

She was instantly reminded of the simple feminine blouse that she had seen in the farthest corner of his closet while she was looking for some clothes to wear earlier that morning. It had been a plain white blouse, but she could tell it was a female blouse from the size and standing collar details. Although she'd been able to shrug it off, she didn't know why a tinge of disappointment had surged through her when she'd seen it.

A thought instantaneously popped in her head. She couldn't help but voice it out. "Do you...do you usually do this? Bringing a woman home to your place for a night? Is that why you don't seem to care? Because it's just a regular occurrence for you?"

That outfit couldn't possibly belong to his mother—it wasn't a style a middle-aged woman would like. And if that outfit was his girlfriend's—even if they weren't living together—shouldn't there be more female clothes in that closet? Oddly, that was the only piece of women's clothing there. She didn't choose it because she didn't know whose it was, and the disappointment that she'd felt upon seeing it had prevented her from taking and wearing it.

Besides, if he had a girlfriend, why had he flirted with her this morning? Therefore, she concluded that the blouse must have been left by a woman with whom he had a one night stand. That very thought irked her.

She looked at Kai like a peeved little deer, which amused Kai. "Do you think Ah Hong would have looked surprised if it were something that happened regularly?" he asked. "In fact, apart from my aunt, you're the first woman ever to enter my apartment." He paused a bit. A lazy smile flicked across his lips as he added, "I didn't know you cared so much about my reputation, Miss Lee."

Violet could sense the teasing, but his assurance that this was not a regular occurrence somehow comforted her. She didn't understand why, but she didn't feel as aggravated anymore. Although she was still curious about the blouse, she decided not to ask. Besides, what business was that of her, anyway?

"Of course I do, Mr. Wu. You're my savior. I don't want you to be the subject of idle talk where you live because of me," she countered with what she thought a reasonable argument.

Kai lightly chuckled. "Well, rest assured, Miss Lee. This will not affect my reputation one bit. Not negatively, anyway."

"What's the address of your parents' house?" he asked, turning on his car's navigation system.

"Uhm... You can just bring me to my dorm. I can't go home like this. I'm still in your clothes. It will raise questions from my family, which I won't be able to explain..." Violet hesitated. "I will change to my own clothes and drive myself home."

Kai turned his head to face her. The look she gave him right now was no longer that of a miffed little doe but that of a darling deer—one that could effortlessly melt people's hearts. He had witnessed her win his brother over with her sweet voice in the elevator. So this must be how she'd look every time she'd cajole her brother into doing something that she wanted.

Kai only had sympathy for her brother. After all, what man wouldn't lose?

He raised an eyebrow. "I'll bring you to your dorm to change, but I can't let you drive yourself home," he said. His tone was relaxed, but there was an underlying sternness to it.

His gaze was fixated on her. It was gentle but piercing, nonetheless, making Violet feel restless. It didn't take long before her breath caught, and her heart skittered. She quickly looked away, feeling a blush creeping up her cheeks again. It amazed her that she only felt this kind of sensation when she was around him. It was worse that she didn't exactly know what to do about it.