Chapter 13: The Eternal Heart

No one was sure what they were at first.

But then it became clear.

It was the gods.

At first they cheered. But the cheering subsided. Something was wrong. Very wrong.

"Kill him!" a warrior screamed, pointing at Requiem.

They took no notice.

Five gods. Five beasts. Five powerful beings forced to obey Requiem's command.

One strike. Two. Three. Four. Five. The attacks went on.

And then the blade crashed over the Anzen.

The glass roof was shattered instantly. Ice cold air swept through the roof. It was no use to hide in warmth and safety now, because there was no warmth and safety.

But none of the warriors would take their deaths lying down.

Armies stormed out of the Anzen and the palace, their kings riding stallions and leading them into battle against the gods themselves. It was an impossible, hopeful victory. A fruitless battle. A war they were destined to lose.

The future had already been decided.

Even Valkyrie was part of the force crashing down on the warriors. Valkyrie. The god of peace and justice was now engaging in an impossible war.

And there was the Eien Kokoro. The legendary jewel, the greatest symbol of the gods and especially Valkyrie, the eternal heart. A bright jewel carved into a sphere that reflected cascades of light, stunningly beautiful, and had endured since the gods were born. The oldest object to have survived the eight millennia which the kingdoms built themselves upon. It was the symbol of eternity as well; when it was first formed, the world was barely a place for life, certainly not the kingdoms. It repelled evil and protected the kingdoms well.

But now Requiem was holding it in his hands.

The brightness had been dulled to a deep black. Requiem grinned wickedly. He threw it on the hard stone, meaning for it to shatter like glass. But it didn't. Growling with frustration, Requiem thrust out his hand. Fire licked the crystal, but it remained intact, as perfect as before.

After all, no one could destroy the heart.

If Requiem did, he would lose all his control over the gods, for sure. Breaking the very thing that kept the kingdoms going would destroy the gods, rip them of their power.

Perhaps that was exactly what Requiem wanted.

What was insulting was that the manipulative man wasn't even engaging in the war. He let the five controlled gods do the destruction for him. Insulting, mockery, that was exactly what Requiem wanted.

Requiem admired the Eien Kokoro. The one time he had seen it, it was fiery red in the king's hands. But now is was black, blacker than even the Kage people.

Perhaps I should take it into the shadow realm where it will be safe.

Under the cover of the war between man and god, Requiem slipped away into the shadows.

In Skyvor's hall, three new princes were arguing with the beast, except this time they were slightly more violent.

Grasped in Lui's hand was a sword made of the sharpest, coldest ice. He held it to Skyvor's neck. No doubt it could kill a god. Hidden inside its blade was something the Mizore people called "Luinor's breath"; a violet, poisonous fire that once released, was immensely powerful. The sword itself was the most powerful sword in the kingdom, and like pretty much everything else, it had some connection to the dragon: "Dragon's fang".