Chapter 4: Shadow's Thrall

The ground was filled with fathoms upon fathoms of gray dust and sand. The sky was filled with gray-green clouds. The sunlight that managed to break through was blindingly bright. His footsteps were clearly marked out, never to be blown away.

A massive dragon rose up from the ground. It was blue, navy, and violet. It had two golden horns and blank purple eyes. White spines ran across its back. It lashed its tail, and he was sent flying. He summoned the axe and cleaved the dragon in half. The dragon disappeared into a black smoke.

The landscape changed. The sky was as black as night. A raging fire surrounded him and turned some of the sky a glowing red.

A new dragon materialized. This one was blue, gold, and white. It lunged forward, but he was too quick. He threw the axe. Upon impact, the dragon erupted into light.

The light blinded him and the world turned black.

"Wake up."

The ground underneath him was as hard and cold as stone. The hair was warm but thin; he could shift around easily. He sensed flames still burning all around him. He could feel bruises on his face.

Someone was shaking him. Pain shot through his arm. Did the dragon slam its tail on it? His memory was getting fuzzier and fuzzier.

His eyes shot open.

Valt was standing beside him. "You were having a nightmare. You alright?"

Shu nodded. "Why are you awake?" He gestured towards the windows. The sky outside was still as dark as night, although this time Shu suspected it was actually nighttime. "You're always asleep," he teased.

Valt shrugged. "Um... I was hungry."

Classic Valt.

Contrary to what the two princes thought, there was still another person awake. Ruway's eyes were closed, yet his mind was anything but asleep. I wonder how Xu and Mitsube were killed, and who killed them. A blade? A ranged weapon? Skill of the hands? If it was a blade they're part of a group training to fight, maybe a traitor. Ranged... an assassin. I don't know about the third one...

Hours later, another prince woke. Phase one is about to begin. What he didn't count on was that the boy not too far from him was already awake.

The five others were already waiting for him, surveying him with calm eyes. "You're here," Free said calmly. His dark eyes bored into him darkly.

"You're late," Lui sniffed, crossing his arms. "I was here ten minutes ago."

"That was a risk," Shu told him. "Better to be late than to be caught." "Oh yeah?" Lui shot back. "If we all wait here for some slowpoke, we all get caught."

"Alright, alright!" Zac muttered. "Okay. I'm late. Can we get on with this now? I'm getting cold."

"Where are you going?"

Kurtz Baratier was one of the warriors who was assigned to partly be in charge of the Anzen School for a month. He was tall, strict, and powerful. Standing behind him was Ruway, his expression slightly surprised but defiant.

"Well?" Kurtz demanded.

"How did you find us?" Lui growled. Kurtz looked slightly taken aback. Everybody in the Anzen was afraid of Lui Shirasagi, warrior or not, but Kurtz regained his composure quickly.

"Ruway here helped."

"You reported us?" Lui snarled furiously.

Ruway looked remarkably calm. "I heard someone leaving the hall. I had no idea it was you."