Chapter 12: The New King

"Requiem."

Shu's eyes were hard with anger. He couldn't put his finger on it, but he sensed he hated this man. Perhaps Requiem had done something to him, his friends, the Anzen... the list was endless.

"Ah." Requiem bowed mockingly. "You must be princes Kurenai, Shirasagi, Kurogane, Kurogami, De La Hoya, and Aoi." Everyone but Valt felt a small surge of anger when they heard that.

Requiem gave them a sly smile. "Would you mind if I take you to the king?"

. . .

They walked in silence.

A gloomy, sinister, foreboding silence.

Requiem walked in unnatural silence. But anyone could see his silence was a show of power— unfathomable power, power that could destroy the kingdoms.

One thing Free found strange was that his eyes barely had a hint of black. He shrugged it off, thinking that like Ruway, they only turned black when he was most connected with Skyvor.

Skyvor was exactly like the stories described: big, mighty, and above all else, powerful. But what made it really hit home was that there was a golden dragon with blue highlights trapped in a cage. Free had no doubt it was Fafnir.

"Lord," Requiem said respectfully.

Skyvor didn't have a face, but it seemed to amused. He seemed to say something in a language of growls and hisses to Requiem. The man responded in the same language.

As though with a great effort, Skyvor growled, "Princes. Kingdoms. Why not dead?"

It's like it's never spoken our language, Shu thought. I guess that makes sense. Being away for so long is bound to affect your language skills.

"Spriggan," Requiem said, pointing at Shu. "Luinor. Valkyrie. Doomscizor. Zeutron."

Skyvor's spear pointed to Free. "Fafnir," Requiem answered carefully.

As soon as it heard its name, the golden dragon snapped up. its golden-amber eyes surveying them carefully.

Skyvor, on the other hand, had a less serene response. Its head jerked up. Electric blue eyes bored into Free's soul.

"Fafnir," it hissed distastefully, somehow speaking their language perfectly. "A prince of Fafnir. You will be fun to crush."

A spear flew from the god's claws. Skyvor was sure it would strike the prince's chest and kill him instantly. The spear stabbed the ground by Free's feet. The black obsidian rippled like water and cleaved like stone.

Free had willed the spear to miss.

"So..." Skyvor snarled. It whirled towards Requiem, a god of fury and anger. "You said he was weak!"

Requiem tilted his head. "My lord, the prince has a brother. He is a warrior of the Hikari Kingdom and obeys the king's every order. That brother is mindless and unable to make decisions, as well as having little to no skill on the battlefield and using his powers. But this is Prince Free De La Hoya."

"Ah." Skyvor seemed to smile triumphantly. "Bring the hostage."

After that, Requiem, Skyvor, and Skyvor's army spoke in Skyvor's growl and hiss language. None of the princes understood a word until the hostage was brought out, hands tied behind their back, a hood covering their head.

Requiem ripped the hood off.

Free would have gasped if he hadn't been preparing himself for someone that was close to him.