Chapter 1: The Anzen

The day started off like normal.

Shu was the first one to wake. He stretched, looking around the room where the princes slept. Valt snored on the bunk above him. Zac slept in another bunk on the top, while Lui kept one to himself on the left side of the room.

And like he did every morning, Shu wondered about his parents. Did they miss him? Did they wish that this school didn't exist? Did they even remember him?

On the far left side of the room, Lui was lying in bed, pretending to be asleep, while his mind flashed over all the defects of the Anzen.

Number one was the placement of the princes' room. Lui had always preferred fighting to safety, so he had been very displeased to find out the staff room was just across the hallway, preventing them from having actual fun in their room.

Meanwhile, next door to the sons of the kings, secondary princes slept. These princes consisted of fourteen year old Free De La Hoya from the Hikari Kingdom and cousin to Zac, Xander Shakadera, eleven, from the Kaen Kingdom and Shu's cousin , Ruway Sun, twelve, Shu's second cousin, as well as Ryota, Daigo's brother and Toko, Valt's brother, there because they were too young to join the princes, and finally Daigo, because he didn't care and wanted to join his brother.

On the right of the primary princes' room, there was the children of nobles and advisors. These three rooms were at the center of the school, as they were the most important and the whole kingdom would feel the loss if they died.

In the room of the nobles was Wakiya Murasaki and Rantaro, nicknamed Honcho, Kiyama from the Heiwa Kingdom, Kit Lopez from the Kaen Kingdom and Hoji Konda from the Mizore Kingdom. On the right of the room, there was a locked door that led to the girls side of the nobles room but still had their own door on the hallway, so neither of the groups ever strayed to the other side. There was Kristina Kuroda, also from Heiwa, Shasa Guten, from Kage Kingdom, her sister Honey Guten, and Valt's sister Nika, who was there because there was no other room for girls apart from the normal dorms as it would be a waste to add one by the secondary princes where she would get lonely, but it resulted in Nika being viewed as of less status than her brother Toko.

When the sun fully rose, all the princes were awake. Except Valt.

The Heiwa prince was still slumped on his bed, snoring lightly, and refusing to be woken up no matter all the prince's attempts. Sighing, Shu left the room briefly and came back with Valt's twin siblings, Toko and Nika. Both of the twins readily woke him up by jumping on his bed.

"Wha..?" Valt muttered sleepily. "Five minutes more please?"

Lui escorted Toko and Nika out of the room and stormed back in. "Listen up, sleepyhead. Breakfast starts very, very soon, and if you don't wake up right this instant you will miss it and I will let you."

Valt jerked awake. "Alright! I'm ready!" He opened the door and got ready to charge out... wearing pajamas.

Lui rolled his eyes and pointed to the bathroom door. "Change."

In five minutes, all four of them were out the door and heading towards the cafeteria in uncomfortable silence. Valt and Zac had gone to wake the secondary princes up, leaving the two rivals walking alone.

Shu hated Lui. Lui was not that much younger than him, but when Shu was five, four year old Lui had scratched his right eye. The scar was still there, and when he got angry it burned like fire. Lui returned the hated. He hadn't meant to scar Shu's eye, but the hated the prince showed towards him since that day fueled his anger, and having no one else to be angry at, he directed it towards Shu.

The Kaen prince lit a small flame in his hand. Seeing it was daytime, all hallway lights were off, but there were no windows in this part of the school, as it was in the center.

Lui formed a small crystal of ice and directed it towards the fire. Hissing, the fire sizzled out, leaving a puddle of water in Shu's hand.

"If you want to walk in the dark, fine," Shu growled. He walked over to the other side of the hallway and relit the flame.

Valt and Zac caught up to them. Behind them was Free, Xander, Ruway, Daigo, Ryota, Toko, and Nika.

Valt cast Shu a curious look but did not comment.

"Morning Lui, Shu," Free said politely. Shu nodded back. Lui cast Free a murderous glare.

The day continued like normal. Lui and Shu ignored and avoided each other to the greatest extent possible while Zac, Daigo, and Valt tried to act like normal people and get the two rivals to interact.

Each of the princes excelled in one subject, For Lui, it was swordplay. For Shu, it was anything to do with books or knowledge. Strangely enough, Zac was the best student in history; while Daigo's was the surprise attacks. Valt was not that great in most subjects, but like all Heiwa children, he was amazing in negotiation.

Halfway into archery, Zac noticed a storm brewing in the sky, a line of dark clouds over the mountains like a wave. "Hey guys. Notice that storm?" Just as the words were out of his mouth, the wind picked up speed. The river flowing beside them splattered the banks and rushed furiously towards the forest.

"Uh oh," their archery teacher, Ms. Mitsube, said calmly. "Better head inside kids. Looks like a big storm's coming." She clapped her hands, dismissing them.

Shu was the first one in the school grounds. He hated to admit it to anyone but Valt, but the sound of thunder always chilled him to the bone. He had no idea why he was so afraid, but he had learned how to hide it away until the storm was over.

Raindrops had started to fall from the sky. Zac hurried into shelter after Shu, as they were both slightly weak to water. Valt jumped in after them. Daigo simply walked through the rain. Lui lingered behind, turning raindrops to icicles then letting them clatter to the ground.

All the students that had been outside had already filed into the school. The secondary princes were dripping wet.

Toko bounced over to Valt, shaking raindrops out of his hair. "I wonder if Nika's still out there!" he chirped.

Free was standing by the door, his hair barely wet. His bored, dark eyes flicked over the other wet kids. "It won't be that rainy," he muttered. "It never is."

That was true. The Anzen barely came across any severe storms without warning, as they practically lived in the middle of all the kingdoms. Yet Daigo had a dark feeling in his gut that this storm was not normal. Not at all.

Lui crossed his arms grumpily. "Now we have nothing to do for the rest of the day. All our classes but history were outdoors."

Zac nudged him. "Cheer up, Lui. The rain will pass soon. It always does."

None of the princes replied. Each of them had a strange feeling looming over their heads that something was about to happen. Something big.

And when they awoke the next day, they would find out exactly what...

Sorry for the short chapter, but I really wanted to move forward to show you guys what is really important.