Back to Reality

Chapter 4

I stopped at the gas station to pick up a few energy drinks. When I got back home it was damn near 6 in the morning. I don't think I can do this every night. I had to be at work at 9 am. I grabbed my Monster out the cup holder and made my way into work.

I actually like working here. I was the secretary for the CEO, so I had a nice size paycheck that went to things that I didn't want it to go to. Most of my paycheck went to my father, the house, and my siblings.

I walked into the elevator and press the button to take me to the top level. I sighed and opened up my drink. It was the best thing that has happened so far today. I got off the elevator and made my way to my office.

'Is it really the best thing?' The voice was all too Familiar. I bit my bottom lip and thought about the dream I had after she got me back home around 3 this morning.

"Vanni!"

I looked to my left to see one of my best friends. I wasn't up for her conversation. All she talks about now is her new man. I wasn't jealous or anything.

'Royalty never gets jealous,' this voice was different.

More femmine and regal. So much confidence laced every word.  To be honest I could care less.Who wants to hear every damn day somebody in a relationship . It was never a short story anyway. It was always extra long and it was always the same damn format.

They gonna go out on a date, he stands her up, calls her the next day, they go out to Applebee's, then he supposedly blows her back out and then they go shoppin.

If she was gonna talk about it at least let it be something about some really nice things he does for her.  She always doing shit for him. So, I was just over her and him, but today I was tired and a bit preoccupied by my late night bonding with Jordan.  I made my way to my office and smirked. She was so damn tempting and the fact I wasn't scared of her anymore was a bigger plus.

"Vanni, girl didn't you hear me calling you?" she said as she made her way into my office.

I sat my stuff down on the floor next to my desk as I sat down in my chair and turned on the computer.

"Nah, I'm sorry girl my thoughts were elsewhere," I said.

"Damn you looked tired, happy but tired ," she said as she smirked and  took a piece of candy out of the bowl I had on my desk.

"Who was you up all night doing?" She asked as she sat back in my chair and crossed her legs.

"Nobody, and stop eating my candy tramp,"

She laughed. I was serious, I hate when people don't ask and just take. Shit is rude my dad does that same shit.

"Sorry, anyway, I want you to go out with me and George tonight," She said and smirked.

"Tyler, I rather not. He already stands you up I can only imagine ," I said.

Besides I feel like that's a bad idea. I don't think it will go well especially with my attitude when I'm sleepy.  I have to take my ass to sleep at some point. I watched as she rolled her orange contact colored eyes. I don't know why she wears them. She was to light for them. She says she looks sexy I say it's creepy as fuck. She was a cute girl she ain't need them. 

"Why not? You still not over Nichols are you?" She asked.

I groaned and rolled my eyes. That dick.

"I haven't heard from his ass in a year and I don't feel like being your third wheel anyway," I said as I opened up the emails on my computer.

The truth was I was looking forward to going home, taking a nap and maybe sitting and talking on that beach again with Jordan. I don't know why but everything about me was drawn to her. Mental and physical. She put any dude I would even consider to shame.

"Uhhhhh, you won't. In fact me and George thought it would be nice if you meet his friend Mike," she said.

I looked at her like she was dumb. I don't do blind dates. I barely date as is it is. My life is about work and making sure my brother and sister were good. I ain't have time for another blind date gone wrong.

"No, "I said as I moved the mouse on my computer.

"Why not?" She whined.

"Personal reasons that you clearly have forgotten about," I told her.

She looked at me like I was dumb. I knew I wasn't the idiot she was. The last blind date I went on buddy tried to fuck me. It was good thing that I took kickboxing. What better way to get in shape then by learning a little self-defense.

"Vanni, he is not like  Ben.I promise,"

"No, Tyler now go do some work," I said as I felt a headache coming.

"Well I can sense that you are tired, so maybe after you get some rest and energy you will change your mind,"

"I hate you and I won't," I mumbled.

"You love me and if you want me to ever talk to you again, then you will do it,"

To be honest I could care less about half the people I know. I don't have to talk to half of them. But she was right I do need at least one person to talk to me.Even if they on bullshit. 

"Ms. Harper, don't you have something else to do then pester Ms. Williams?"

I was saved by the boss man. The big creepy boss man.

" Why yes I do Mr. Edwards,"

He watched as Tyler exited the room and he laughed.

"You too will be the death and life of this company,"

I chuckled a bit.

" Ms. Williams, can you fax these papers for me, then meet me in my office. We have something to go over, but only when you are done with all your work," he said.

He eyed me and ran his hand over his bottom lip. I'm not sure what was on his mind but I was sure it wasn't any good.