"Which prevented them from looking for her in the slums," I said, smiling. "You're braver than you think. Jessie's been our friend for most of that time, and I can tell you we're grateful for all you've done for her. I know it couldn't have been easy."

Marissa sighed. "No, it hasn't. But I had help, too. Kunsel was there with me a lot of the time. He and Jessie... they were involved once, you see. They were gonna get married, but then..."

I blinked. "Really? Oh, that's right. I remember now, it was all over the news back then. Jessie Jae's engagement. She was so heartbroken at the time I first met her—that probably wasn't long after she came down to the slums. She told me a little about it, but never who her man was. I only knew that she'd had to leave him."

"Is she... still in love with him?" Marissa wondered.

At first, I didn't know why it mattered to her. But after a moment's thought, I understood. "No. It took her a long time, but she eventually let him go. I think it's been about six months now since she told me she had finally put it behind her, that she had to keep moving forward. She felt he would have wanted her to do that."

Marissa nodded. "He would. As much as he loved Jessie, he'd want her to be happy. Not clinging endlessly to the faint hope that she might be with him again someday. Still, what you said, Tifa... it surprised me. I wasn't expecting to actually hear it."

"You like him, don't you?" I said. It wasn't a question.

"Yeah... I really do," she blushed.

I smiled. "Does he know?"

She shook her head. "No. I haven't wanted to say anything about it in case he's still interested in her. I've been too scared to ask him. And I don't know which answer I'd want if I did."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"If he is, then I can't tell him how I feel," she replied. "But if he isn't, it leaves me with a tough choice. Even knowing Jessie's moved on, I still don't want to share my feelings with Kunsel without talking to her first. He was very special to her, you know."

I did. "I think I understand. She was in a similar situation with me not too long ago. You see, Cloud and I have known each other since we were kids, and I always liked him. But when he and Jessie met a couple months ago, she totally fell for him."

"Oh, Jessie and Cloud are...?" Marissa giggled.

"Yep!" I answered. "Jessie came to me first before she actually tried to move things along, although she'd been flirting with him relentlessly ever since they met. It was pretty cute, actually."

She laughed. "I'm not surprised. Kunsel's a SOLDIER, too."

"Anyway, I gave Jessie the green light and encouraged her to go for it and be with Cloud. And I'm sure once you talk with her, she'll do the same for you and Kunsel. Don't you think?"

"I guess we'll find out," Marissa chuckled.

Suddenly, Barret lifted his hand, motioning for us to stop. We were about a third of the way down the highway, near the first of what were probably several sunken sections of the ruined road. I immediately felt the stillness in the air and brought up my fists, eying the shadows. The drop to the bottom of the ravine was at least thirty feet, and I kept well away from the edge. So did the others.

"Careful, guys," Barret said. "Company's comin'."

Wedge hefted his rifle and listened. "Sounds like eaters..."

"Could be," I agreed.

It was. They suddenly swarmed into view from behind mounds of rubble laying on either side of the ruined expressway. There were over two dozen of them scuttling toward us, their round maws gaping wide. Barret and Wedge opened fire a moment later, tearing into the bugs as Lena and I sprang into action, fists and feet flying. Marissa froze in the midst of it all, her eyes wide.