The Dead Can Keep Secrets

Start from the beginning

"So, you're going to stay?" Lenalee asked. Road nodded.

"Besides, Te-" Road began before I covered her mouth quickly. She gave me an exasperated look and pulled my hand away. "Almost everyone in this room knows your name. What's the harm of a few more people?" I gave her a no nonsense look. "Anyway, if you ask anyone of us, they'll probably say the same thing. One is the scary one."

"Road." Lulubell said in warning.

"I'm the scary one?" I asked in confusion.

"How many memories do you not have?" Road asked.

"How should I know?" I asked. "I can't remember them!" Allen smiled at me and sat down next to me.

"I'm scared of you and you're the one that's sick." He said jokingly. I laughed.

"Setting that aside," Lavi said. "Don't you think we should let Miranda have a break?" We all looked back at Miranda. She smiled.

"I-I can go a bit longer." She assured us.

"You look ready to drop." I told her plainly. "You can stop whenever you want." She paled.

"Wh-why would you gi-give me such a big re-responsibility?" She stuttered.

"Um, I'm sorry?" I said. "I didn't know it was such a big deal..."

"A bug deal, One, you could die." Alexis reminded me kindly. I giggled nervously.

"I-I guess..." I said.

"Don't sound so unsure about it!" Stella exclaimed.

"Take in your surroundings." Stark said unamusedly. He crossed his arms. I smiled weakly.

"Hey," Road said. "Can you sing that lullaby before Miranda stops? Please?"

"Lullaby?" Alexis asked.

"The one our mom used to sing?" Allen asked. I nodded. "If only we had a piano."

"Come on, sing it!" Road urged. I sighed.

"~Soshite bouya wa nemuri ni tsuite
Ikizuku hai no naka no honoo
Hitotsu, futatsu to~" I started.
Then, the boy falls asleep
The flame inside the breathing ashes,
and one by one

"~Ukabu fukurami itoshii yokogao
Daichi ni taruru ikusen no
Yume, yume~"
Many dear profiles appear
Thousands of dreams
drop to the Earth

"~Gin no hitomi no yuragu yoru ni
Umareochita kagayaku omae
Ikuoku no toshitsuki ga
Ikutsu inori o tsuchi e kaeshite mo~"
On the night when silver eyes flicker,
the shining you is born
Even though countless prayers are
returned to the earth by the passing millions of years

"~Watashi wa inori tsuzukeru
Douka kono ko ni ai o
Tsunaida te ni KISU o~"
I will continue to pray
No matter what,
shower this child with love
And kiss on the connected hands.

Road smiled in happiness and swayed back and forth. I was swaying too but, I think that was from lethargicness. For some reason I started to feel like I hadn't slept for days. I guess I wasn't the only one. "Miranda, are you okay?" Lenalee asked. She was answered with us both collapsing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Miranda (Terra) (One)!" We exclaimed. Herbaska was instantly taking control of the situation.

"What happened?" I asked her. Herbaska concentrated for a moment.

"It's so cold." Miranda whimpered unlatching herself from her innocence. It hit the floor with a light clang of metal against concrete and a hiss. The woman still looked faint in her spot on the ground with Lenalee next to her. Herbaska was tending to One.

"One's innocence started to effect Miranda's." She said. "Miranda should be fine in a moment as well her innocence."

"Is she going to be okay?" Road asked hovering beside One along with Allen and Kanda.

"...No one can be certain." Herbaska said hesitantly. "This hasn't happened before. We could assume it would be like when a normal person is rejected by their innocence." The room tensed. "But, because she's also a Noah, we can't be sure."

"Especially since she's the Noah of Betrayal." A voice said. Lavi's eyes widened.

"Old man..." He said. The old man I heard Lavi refer to as an old panda entered calmly with his hands laced behind his back.

"Sorry to intrude when I've stayed so quiet but," He paused. "Herbaska, you need to let One fight it for herself. She needs to do this."

"My sister could die!" Allen growled.

"As I recall, you weren't aware of her exsistance until a month ago anyway." Allen glared at h and quickly stood up. Cross held out a protective arm to stop him. Allen looked at him incredulously.

"Stop it." He said.

"Cross, what's going on?" I asked. He looked at me.

"Something your father decided to keep from you." He muttered. My father? He died and he still keeps secrets! How does he expect me to run the White Order?

"Bookman, what's your reasoning?" I asked. He unclasped his hands. No, he was holding a scroll behind him.

"I recently revisiteda hidden library." He said.

"The one in my brothers office?" Lenalee blurted. Bookman nodded. Kanda, Lavi, and she looked between each other to One.

"That library, has been kept a secret by the members of the Bookmen for generations." He said. "I was going to reveal its location to Lavi but, I don't think it necessary anymore." He gave his apprentice a pointed look. "Herbaska, I think you know exactly what's in here." He said changing his attention to her. "You wrote it after all." Herbaska obviously didn't like where this is going. "I know you're trying to protect then but face it, this won't keep up for much longer!"

"I can't!" She argued. "If you know what's written-"

"Release her!" He demanded. "Release her now before it's too late to do anything else." Herbaska frowned.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Now, Herbaska! Before it's too late!" Bookman demanded. She grimaced but released her hold over one. White light flooded the room...