The ruling

Kate's POV

Finally I was done testify, and now we are waiting. I could feel Carter looking at me, like he has the whole trial. It's pathetic really, he basically broke up with me and now he is here acting like he cares. He can't pick a fucking side. 

"All rise" I stand and watch the judge and the jury walk about in. I get lost in my own world as they go over some stuff and bring my birth dad back in. 

"We the jury find the defendant, Michael Andrews, on one count of premediated vehicular manslaughter guilty. On 2 counts of child endearment guilty." The head jury sits back down and now it back to the judge for him to give my father his sentencing.

"Michael what you did was terrible and morbid, keeping Kate's testimony in mind, I believe I wouldn't being doing her or her brother justice. And for that and many other reasons I sentence you to life in prison without chance of poral" It was finally over, I watch my birth dad get taken away for the rest of his life. A giant weight leaves my body as he disappears behind the doors. Connor gives my hand a squeeze. 

"It's over" He whispers, I nod and pull him into a hug. We can get adopted now.

***

Everyone went back to the house and I went to my room needing to process today, the trial went faster than expected. I guess me testify really did help.

I tried to process the trial, but my thoughts kept going back to Carter.

You know what? Fuck this, I'm not a little bitch and I deserve an explanation of his actions 

I march my ass down stairs and see Carter instantly, "Can I talk to you?" he looks down before nodding and getting up. I walk to the backyard and sit on the porch swing, he sits next to me and I feel how tense he is. 

"Are you gonna tell me what the fuck is going on with you?" I finally say looking at him, he is looking everywhere but at me and it's pissing me off. "W-we can't- this just isn't" He stutters out making me scoff.

"Who is threatening you?" I ask seeing right through the act now that I'm up close, I know what it's like and I acted the same way Carter is when it happened. "N-no one is t-threatening me. I-it's jus-" I cut him off not wanting to hear his crap bullshit lies.

"Yeah you're not being threatened and I'm completely mentally stable, cut the bullshit" He sighs realizing I can see right through him, I raise an eyebrow. "I can't" He says, sadness coating his words. I frown and think of a way to get it out of him without forcing it out of him.

"Look, I have dealt with stuff like this before and whoever is threatening you is probably bluffing, so spit it out" I try to reason with him, "Remember that guy who tried to hurt you and I saved you?" I nod and smile at the memory, it was the first time I had someone to stand up for me.

"Well a couple days ago he caught me on a run, he said if I didn't break up with you and never speak to you again he would finish what he started in that alley. And I can't be the reason that happens to you" His voice breaks at the end and I swear I could see tears in his eyes. 

"Eddie is a little bitch, and he doesn't know where I live anymore. Also I have these amazing parents now that will help you, us. You are one of the only good things in my life and I'll be damned to let anyone ruin that" I grab his face and make him only at me. He nods and leans in to kiss me, I happily welcome it before the vision of him white Julia comes racing back into my mind. "What happened with Julia?" I ask bluntly, that is something I deserve to know.

"The night he threatened me, I thought the best thing to do was get you off my mind. And it didn't help, I wish I could take it back" He shakes his head, I nod and lean my head on his shoulder. "We'll figure it out, we always do" I say, he grabs my hand as we look up at the starry night sky.

***

The next weeks fly by, Eddie was quickly taken in by police. Connor and I's adoption is now in full swing and things are back to normal with Carter.

"I think I want to go back to school, online is boring" I say to Dana looking down at my coffee cup. "Really?" She asks, the excitement to get me out of the house clear. I smile and nod, "Well do you want to start tomorrow or next week?" She asks with a big smile, "I think we have had this exact conversation before" I smile back we laugh as the front door opens, I turn to see a group of very sweaty boys. 

"Hey babe" Carter smiles, I grin back and wave. Dana laughs at our exchange, "You got yourself a good one" 

"Yeah I did"

______________
Sorry this chapter is so short! Life has been crazy! This book is sadly coming to an end, I plan about 2 more chapters. A new book will be posted shortly though in case you want to read more of my works! Thank you to everyone reading and I'm sorry this book isn't super long, I have kinda lost interest in it but still want to finish it cause I hate when authors do that!

Enjoy your day/night loves!

-Kay