His House

Kate's POV

---------------

Carter and I walk to his house in silence, but he held my hand the whole way there. It was nice, no one has ever just held my hand expect for when me and Connor were walking into a new foster home. But this was different, when Connor did it, it was out of fear. When Carter does it, it's out of protection.

We walked up to his door and into the house, no one is home which seems to be pretty usual for him. He leads me to his perfectly clean room and closes the door. I take in his room, the walls are a light grey and lined with his football trophies and awards. It's pretty normal for an 18 year old with the gaming console, desk, and a bed, he's normal. I like it.

"It's getting kind of late, wanna order a pizza?" Carter asks shyly, I turn to face him with a smile and nod yes. He smiles back at me before grabbing his phone then jumping on his bed, he pats the spot next to him. I lay next to him and place my head on his chest, the sound of his heartbeat is so calming. Carter orders the pizza and we watch some TV as we wait for it.

"Why were your guy's social workers there?" Carter asks diverting his attention from the TV to me.

"My birth dad is out of prison now and is suing the state for custody" a weight disappears from my shoulders, I needed to get that off my chest. "And he is only suing to have me, he doesn't want Connor" I say fully relieving the burden to someone who will listen and not get mad.

"Do you want to go back with him?"

"No, I just want to meet with him and see if he has changed at all" I start playing with the hem of Carter's t-shirt to try to ignore his eyes boring into my soul or what's left of my soul. "Am I a bad person for wanting to see my dad again?" I ask sitting up, the question had been playing on my mind since I saw Connor destroy his room over my choice to see my dad again. Carter lets out a sigh and sits up.

"I don't think so, you have been through hell over and over again. And if you need to see your dad to get closure from what has happened to you, you should do it. Connor may be mad right now, but you guys both think very differently and view your dad and your time in foster care. He may hate your dad and not want to see him, but that doesn't mean you have to do the same. Obviously I have zero clue what your life has been like, but if I was in your shoes I would want to see my dad too." Carter says looking straight into my eyes with his gorgeous bright blue eyes. I nod and lean my head on him. 

I wish I could just run away with Carter and never look back.  

Carter's POV

------------------

It was hard seeing Kate like this, I have no idea what to say. I have had a very different life, yeah my parents were never around and my sister doesn't ever talk to me but I haven't been abused the way Kate has. And now that she is finally in a safe, loving home her brother is making it hell for her. There was going to be a serious intervention over that later, but for now I was going to take care of Kate.

The pizza finally came and we ate on the floor of my room since Kate refused to eat on my bed, she was starting to relax but I could tell she was still upset over what was happening with her brother. My phone started buzzing, I gave Kate an apologetic look before answering.

"Where is she"

"With me and she is fine"

"Bring her back now"

"Do you really think she is going to want to see Connor after that?"

"I don't really care Cart, she is my foster sister and she needs to be home" Kate gives me a confused look, I mouth her "One minute" and leave her alone in my room to finish this conversation with Jackson.