Autuam Leaves

Today's History of Holidays lesson was amazing with the Mayor except for his mood swings and constant worrying comments. Apparently after the holidays found out about each other, they all guessed that their must be other holidays in different country's in the human world. No one has explored them yet to find out if that is true or not but hey I could fix that!
As I came into the grand living room of Jacks home I was halted. There where two apparitions floating beside the fireplace.
"Er...Hello?" I said. They broke the small conversation that they were having and turned my way. "Oh Hello, there miss. It's our first day today!" Said the one in an older fashioned maids uniform. Her dark hair was in a messy bun and she had a round happy face which was strange since she was a ghost. Her teeth shone white setting off her dark shaded skin.
The other women ghost oddly seemed to shine brighter for some reason like an angel without any wings. She wore a long white dress that you couldn't see her feet from and her silvery blonde hair was as long as mine. Her smile was sad and her eyes where watery.
"Your the new employees then? What are your names?" I asked as I put my bag full of books on the ground near the sofa.
"I'm Ruby" said the maid grinning. "And my name is Annabelle Lee" said the sad, sea washed girl which seemed to look the age I looked like. And her name, I don't know where I heard it before.
"Well I guess you can both start then.." I said. "Wonderful! He may be the Pumpkin King but I bet he doesn't clean a thing!" Ruby laughed jollily as she went through a wall to the other room.
Then me and Annabelle were alone. I instantly noticed that she was shy but once she got into our creatures studies lesson she seemed more relaxed. In Jacks library, their was a book of all the residents of Halloween town and boy did it look ancient. We flipped through it and she described what everyone was in town. I asked about misting but apparently they don't live in town but the outskirts. I guess that explains why my parents home is on the edge of the Hinterwoods.
We flipped through the book for an hour then the lesson was finished for today.
As I got up to put my bag into my room Annabelle cleared her voice very softly. "Um yes?" I asked turning around. "Well I guess that Mr. Skellington didn't mention that I'm also teaching you edict did he?" She smiled sheepishly.
"No he did not! Don't know why I need it!" I crossed my arms. I don't need any bloody edict!
"Oh please Miss, don't take offence to him nor me, he says your wonderful but says "she could work a little on table manners"." She recited politely.
Well I guess I did see that coming, might as well learn to hold a fork and knife.
"It's alright, I guess I at least have to act a little like a princess now right?" I smiles. She gave me an appreciative grin as she floated and I walked to the kitchen.

As we finished and we made our way back to the living room to pick up my bag when Annabelle called after me "Oh Miss Nightshade?". I sighed as softly as I could. I used to not have to talk to anyone let alone ghosts, those were the good old day.
"Yes?" I asked as patiently as I could. "Well miss, I'm also a music teacher. Singing, danceing, musical instruments..." She said softly ringing her hands. "I don't-"
"Mr. Skellington say you would have no need in dancing lessons but-"
"I don't think I'm really cut out to play any instruments-"
"what about singing?!" She sakes expectantly.
She was really grasping at straws here. Was it that she just really liked teaching. It must be it, who knows how long she's been asleep in her grave. He and Ruby, no wonder Ruby was so eager to clean this mansion.
And Annabelle was so sweet, how could I deny what she loved to do. Also I couldn't stand how she looked at me with those sad watery eyes.
"Alright then, I have a singing lesson" I was defeated. She clasped her hands together happily and wisked herself of to sit at the grand piano.
Oh Pumpkins, now I feel sick! I sing but what girl doesn't sing when she's alone? Don't human girls even do it? I don't know If I even sound descent!
I took the place on the pianos side and gulped hard. "Well, you have a perfect stance! You diaphragms strait and your breathing properly as well." She said happily while checking the tuning of the piano.
"Now any songs that you know?" She asked looking up at me. At first none came to mind but a distant tune started to resurface. I don't know where I heard it before but it was a dark sounding but somber and sweet lullaby.
Annabelle must have heard me humming for she said "Oh I think I know that one!" And started playing the tune on the keys. "You do?" I said surprised.
"Yes it a very old song from around here. You know the words as well?" She asked still playing. "Yes I thing I do for some reason!" I said smiling.
She smiled back and started from the beginning, the words now flowing out of me effortlessly as my eyes close.

"Come little leaves said the wind one day
Come over the meadows with me and play
Put on your dresses of red and gold
For summer is gone and the days grow cold

Soon as the leaves heard the winds loud call
Down they came fluttering, one and all
Over the brown fields they danced and flew
Singing the soft little song they new

Come little leaves said the wind one day
Come the mist filled mornings and nights to welcome their parade
The morning might be mourning-full and the nights hauntingly cold
But twilight and dawn are the rifts
And Hallows Eve is where the leaves and mist call home"

I felt objects coming down from above, skidding my head and brushing my arms. I opened my eyes and I laughed with disbelief. Autumn leaves were floating down from the ceiling and creating piles on the floor of the room.
Annabelle was smiling happily.
"Mr. Skellington was right! You're magnificent!" She exclaimed while gazing at the falling leaves.
"She is, isn't she?" A proud voice said from the doorway and as I turned around Jack was there leaning on the doorframe.
He wasn't looking at the magical leaves but staring at me with that odd look. He's adopted this look only a couple of weeks ago and I've noticed he only uses it occasionally towards me. I don't know how it made me feel, it was uncomfortable but it also made me flush. It wasn't just the intriguing glint in his eye sockets he always had but it made him look like he had eyes that could look inside of me.
"Anna, play a tune for a waltz please." He said walking towards me. "Certainly!" She grinned excitedly while drifting swiftly to the piano. I smiled as the tune began and the both of use comfortably took our positions.
We danced, laughed and twirled with the lovely, happy, spooky song while kicking piles of leaves and scattering them around the room. The leaves fell continuously as we drifted timelessly and his gaze never left.