Chapter 18: Plans and Preparation

Start from the beginning

He also noted opened crates across the camp, but he couldn't tell what was in them from his angle. So he flew up the side of the building and then crawled along the roof quietly until he was looking down on the camp. It wasn't exactly high, but from this higher vantage, he could see into the crates. The crates he could see clearly were filled with ammo or other similar military supplies, and if the newness of the crates was anything to go by, then they were only recently arrived. Tokoyami filed that information away for later and continued surveying the area. Apart from the patrols and crates of supplies, he didn't see much else occurring in the camp.

He wanted to get a closer look though, so he got down from the roof. He took a careful look around and then slipped from the shadow he was hiding into another one close by. He kept going from shadow to shadow. He took note of the locations of things and the patrol routes as he went. He stopped a few times to look into buildings or listen to conversations, but he didn't see or hear anything of note until he was making his way back the way he came in. As he approached the lookout post where the guards had been playing cards, he could hear raised voices. He slipped into the shadow of the building and crept to the window.

"-Expect you thought I was joking when I said there might be an incursion!" shouted a voice from inside the building.

"I don't care what you think or how boring it is here, until the commander gets back and transports the subject back to headquarters your getting double shifts! And if anyone catches any of you slacking off again, I swear I'll have all three of sent into the nightmare or into the labs!" roared the voice before slamming the door on his way out.

Tokoyami took that as his cue to leave. He turned and slipped away from the building towards the trees. As he slipped away though, he caught some movement from the corner of his eye. He froze, and he turned his head slightly to get a better sightline on the area he saw the movement come from. It took him a second but he could see a dark shape slowly moving through the woods on his right and towards the camp. As the shape got closer, he noticed two pinpricks of light moving along with the dark shape. A pair of red glowing eyes, the only thing visible of the dark shape. Tokoyami waited patiently while it went past, then after waiting another minute or two, he continued on.

After Tokoyami had made it back to the tree line, he escorted Mapper as close to the camp as possible and around the entire perimeter. They didn't see The Hunter at any point during the rest of their recon but Tokoyami was sure it had been him.

________________________________

"The Hunter? Are you sure of this?" asked Nezu.

"Positive, I don't know how he knew where to go, but I'm also certain that if he had the power of flight he would have beaten us there. As it stands he must have left the city hours before us to arrive at the camp as I was departing it." Said Tokoyami.

Nezu was silent for a time as he just mulled it all over in his mind. Eventually, he seemed to come to a decision.

"We will have to move the timetable up. We will launch the strike tomorrow night, rather than the day after as I was initially estimating. We don't know when Zeus will arrive to pick up his cargo, and with The Hunter now involved it could prompt heightened security if it has not happened already. There will be a morning meeting, you are exempt as you need rest. Good work, and sleep well." Said Nezu.

"Thank you, have a good night principal." Said Tokoyami and left the office.

There was silence for a few minutes in the office until Nezu stirred and removed his cellphone from his pocket. He dialed in a number and waited as it rang. A few seconds later there a click and a tired voice came over the other end.