Chapter Twenty, Fate's Promise

Start from the beginning

Wood stood right in front of the Willow right next to Shane, the priest. His deep green eyes froze in place as he saw her. Like her, he had never been married in his entire life, and he wasn't sure if all grooms experience the same feeling of both serenity and excitement. She looked like an angel in his eyes. Everything about her from the waves in her hair to the dimples on her face was enough to make his heart sore. As she smiled at him, he found himself grinning like an idiot right back at her. Those blue eyes of hers were too happy, too mesmerizing to look away from. Words couldn't describe how peaceful and gorgeous everything was. River stared at him with the same sense of longing, gazing at how different he looked when he wasn't shielded by his cloak that he held so dear. On his head was a crown similar to hers, with red fern leaves and fall ornaments. He had let his hair grow out a little more ever since the battle had been won. She had told him a couple of days before that his longer, dark brown hair suited him. Aside from that, he wore a dark red shawl, a brown leather tunic that hugged his body, rough sleeves made of cow hide and shoulders that made his upper body appear even more chiseled than it already was. His trousers were loose and soft. Although he told her he wouldn't bring any weapons, there was still a single dagger that sat on his waist. She noticed it, but decided in her mind that she wouldn't bring it up later. Her feet made their way across the grass that still had some left over morning dew on the blades. Everyone smiled as she drifted past them, standing right in front of him. With that, Shane began to speak. He opened his enchanted book, flipping it to the readings, vows, and all the other sayings people need to get married. But as he spoke, Wood heard nothing. The only thing he could hear was his own heartbeat.

As for River, for her it was the same experience. She began the adventure believing that she'd end it the same way. She thought that once her fight was over there would be nothing left to live for. Leafs fell around them as Shane broke the two out of their trance, "Do you, Wood, tribe member of the south, hunter and scout of your pact, Savior of villager kind, take River as your wife?"

Wood smirked at her tenderly, "I do."

The words caused an earthquake inside her mind and soul. She felt like screaming in complete excitement. Shane smiled and turned to her, "And do you, River, Hero of the Valley, Musketeer of Minecraftia, Savior of our world, take Wood to be your husband?" The question made her heart burst into a million separate beats. With his hands in hers, warm and lively, she spoke the two most thrilling words she could've imagined.

"I do."

The crowd of friends and family was no longer visible when Shane ended with, "I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the-" River wasted no time. She pulled Wood by the hand and crashed her lips onto his. Shane looked a little startled by the sudden movement, but soon laughed afterwards. "The bride kisses the groom!" Stone began to laugh, followed by the cheers of Cadia village along with the tribes' men. The light of the sky faded into darkness, but that didn't stop the land from rejoicing. No hostile mobs crept that night, oddly enough. It seemed as though Notch was finally answering her wishes after all those years of prying around the wilderness. Music radiated from Cadia village as River and Wood danced around the bonfire just as she had taught him after the long forgotten raid. People around them clapped with the rhythm, other couples slowly joining them in a circle of peace. A fast violin was accompanied by the quick beatings of drums, driving the dance. Wood was much better at it than his first time. Harvey, who once teased him for being too scared to join her, danced with Zen beside the bonfire. Attalla went a step further and took one of his llamas into the music, holding the wooly animal by its fluffy neck and tail. The llama didn't object. In fact, it swayed closely behind him which caused almost everyone to laugh and smile at the oddity of it all. "Since when did you learn to dance?" River asked him, smiling uncontrollably. Wood smirked, "You'll never believe who taught me." His answer was mysterious, but it soon became clear once he motioned over his shoulder. River's eyes widened as she saw none other than Ajax, the blacksmith that had given them trouble in the tavern, leaned against the wall with a large mug of either wine or beer in his hand. He looked at the two, grinning at Wood before lifting his drink as if making a toast. Looking back at Wood, River felt stunned. "How? I thought he hated us!"