Chapter Sixteen, Stand With Me

Wood breathed heavily, gritting his teeth. The taste of blood filled his mouth, but he didn't care. His greatest fear was that his father would kill her. The evoker still had the dagger- the one weapon that could truly end her. He wanted so badly to jump through the portal and chase after them so he could bury an arrow through his father's head. It ate at his insides to know that she wasn't safe. He longed to hold her again and protect her by any means necessary. "What do we do with him?" One pillager asked. Stone was quick to answer, "As much as I'd like to kill him now, I think it would benefit us more if he lives... so he can watch her die." Wood questioned his brother's choice of words. After all, a pillager could kill whoever he wanted when he wanted. They forced him onto his feet before pushing him forwards, away from the portal room and towards the jail cells. Usually his brother wouldn't think twice about killing him especially after the day's events. It occurred to him that Stone just might still have a little heart left in him. Before he knew it, he was shoved into a nearby cell. They took away his crossbow and hidden dagger, practically ripping it from the inside of his tunic. Wood landed on the floor, but got up as soon as possible. The iron door slammed shut and clicked, locked tight. Of course, this didn't stop Wood.

"AAAGHHH!" He charged at the door, slamming it with his shoulder, then his fist, then his foot. As useless as he knew it would be, he had to try. He had to go to her, to save her, to help her, to get her away from the evoker as soon as he could. Sweat poured from his forehead and his muscles ached with tiredness. He wiped the blood off of his face, scowling at the men outside who looked away from him as if calling him crazy. Again and again, he tried. Hitting the door with all his strength, the echoes radiated throughout the stronghold. His knuckles began to bleed and his mind grew hazier with the idea that she could be dead any second now. He didn't care about the pain, he only cared about her. She was the only thought that kept him going. The last glance she had given him before hurling herself into the portal was a sign that she needed him. "Let me out, brother!" He eventually called out to Stone, who faced the other way with his back turned. "You're no brother of mine."

"I NEED TO GET TO HER! Don't you understand that?!" Wood shouted. "Does it look like I care?!" Stone yelled back, still not even looking at him. "If you didn't care then you would've already killed me!" Wood answered, gripping the iron bars that stood between them. "You're still my brother, and I care for you. I looked up to you! You're better than this. Father never saw it but I did! I still see it. I know you didn't want to kill Coal. And I know you don't want to kill me to make the same mistake!" Wood spoke, causing a couple of the guards to turn around with curiosity. After all, this was Wood. He was the best scout, hunter, tracker, and archer their tribe had known. His fellow pillagers, once family, now stared at him with a new sense of wonder. Wood, whom they had now hurt and caged, used to be one of them. He used to lead them and help them when all seemed lost. Perhaps it was the memories of all those good times that caused them to pause. The peculiar thing was that they had never seen him like this. Sure Wood had determination, but he was never that angry, that afraid of losing something. "I had them kill Coal because he interfered. Just as you had." Stone replied dryly. A moment of silence fell across the room. Wood's eyes grew saddened once he realized something fatal. "Father told you to kill Coal didn't he?" His voice was softer than before, a little grief seeped into his words. Stone tensed, but said nothing. He didn't admit it but he certainly knew it was true. "Father has nothing to do with this." Stone snapped. "Yes... yes he does. Brother, if you don't release me there won't be a home to go back to and you know it. You know this is wrong! Father doesn't tell you who you are! You do! You're strong, brave, and your exterior is too strong to be broken. If you let him win, he'll kill you too once he realizes there's no reason to keep you on his leash any longer!" Wood said, causing more guards to turn and stare at him. Most had worried expressions, others were conflicted on whether or not they should be listening or ignoring his words. "If he wins, I'll be Chief! I'll be everything I want to be and I'll do it without you!" Stone exclaimed angrily, tears in his eyes.