Chapter Twelve, Pisces Village

They had swum so far, they couldn't see a trace of land. The water's current helped them move farther away, but they couldn't deny that they both felt a little lost. "Are you doing alright?" She asked him. "Fine, you?"

"As good as it's going to get. How far do you think we are from shore?"  They both stopped for a moment to catch their breath as best as they could, treading water. Wood had abandoned his cloak a while back, letting the waves take it. As for river, she had abandoned her jacket as well. Her armor was light, luckily. It wouldn't sink her down since diamond hardly ever did. Her helmet was strapped to her back as was her signature black hat. Her long golden hair was tied back into a low ponytail as an attempt to keep it out of her face. Wood was lucky he didn't lose his crossbow or his quiver, but all of his arrows were long gone. His hope was that the satchel around her shoulder had extra. Knowing her, it most likely did. "We're a good ways off, but I think it'll be dark before we see anything." He replied. For the first time in a while, she felt genuinely tired. He was too, but tried not to show it. After all, they were stranded, with no boat, with nothing but Notch's good graces to keep them safe. Not to mention, both were starving. "I've crossed these waters several times, but never on foot." She laughed nervously. Wood managed a small smile. "Is it just me or is it colder?" She asked. "It's very cold." He agreed, "That's a good sign, it means we're close. I believe there might be ice a little farther down the current." The salty taste on their lips caused them to become thirstier than ever. "Wood?" She spoke again after a few moments of silence. "Yes?" He responded. "Do you... do you really believe what your father said? A-About my ancestors... did they really outcast-" She was interrupted. "It doesn't matter what my father said, it's in the past. I don't care if your kind murdered a thousand generations, you aren't anything like that."

His intervention caused her to feel a little better, less guilty if possible. "You know this is crazy right? We're in the middle of the ocean for crying out loud! We'll be lucky if we live till tomorrow!" She exclaimed. "I meant what I said." Wood reminded her. "Fate promised me you, even if I have to say it for the millionth time. I just hope it promised us land too." He chuckled. River was about to say something clever, but they were both interrupted by the ringing of a bell. It was faint at first, but the second time it came there was no mistaking it. "Is that?" "It's a fisher's boat!" River smiled widely. Wood did too. They were both beginning to doubt whether or not they'd ever make it back to shore. She turned her head and sure enough, there it was on the horizon. The outline of a boat with fishing net and a light blue flag made itself known. "HEY!!! OVER HERE!!!" River yelled as loud as her lungs would allow her. Wood waved like a madman as she screamed like a banshee, hoping that whoever was on that ship could hear them. "HEY! HEY!!! OVER HERE! OVER HERE!" Through their yelling, they thanked whatever god was there that the ship began to slowly turn in their direction. The cold air and the cold water was enough to make her voice sore. Wood took over, "HERE!!! HERE!!! COME CLOSER!!!" He shouted just as loud despite his aching muscles, grumbling stomach, and colder than cold body. About fifteen minutes went by before the ship was right before them. A new voice called out to them, "Blimey! It's Hero! Edward? Do you see that, it's Hero!!!" another accented voice on the ship replied, "Goll dang, Elias! Well pull her on, you imbecile!" River swam over to Wood. He instinctively wrapped one of his arms around her as a stringed ladder was tossed down from the deck of the boat. "Who are these people?" Wood asked her. "I recognize them as Elias and Edward, the fishermen. Both are twin brothers." She explained.

"Ah, that makes sense." Wood couldn't help but roll his eyes. They both inched towards the ladder. River got on first while Wood followed behind her. For some reason the air felt so cold, they could see their own breath as it came fluttering out of their lungs. By the time she got to the top, the two rescuers came into view. They both had dirty blonde hair with brown eyes, the only reason she could tell their faces apart was because Edward had a little bit of a beard on his chin. Both were dressed in wooly clothes and dyed cyan tunics. Their boots were thick and made with llama leather. They also each had two sturdy leather hats that shielded their faces from the sun. While they were both rather skinny, they had the strength of ten men when they worked together to pull hundreds of fish into their net. "What on earth are you doing way out here?!" Elias asked her as she helped Wood onto the deck. She and him were shivering from the icy air. Edward tossed them both what Wood assumed were wool blankets.  "Thank you two so much for picking us up- we ran into some serious trouble and we need to get to shore. This is Wood, he's my companion." She introduced him. Wood bowed his head slightly as a greeting as they bundled up as best as they could. Edward's eyes grew as they gazed at him. "Is that... a pillager?" He asked, a little frightened. Elias squinted as a means to get a better look, "Blimey it is, brother!"