Chapter Ten, Grief

Wood walked through the forest until he eventually made it to the beach. Rain poured down his shoulders, and onto the many bruises that adorned his chest and limbs. He walked with a slight limp due to the pain. As for the wound in his shoulder, he had pulled out the dagger a long time ago. Of course, that didn't make up for blood loss. Night was coming, and it was imperative that he moved quickly. Wood had never been so tired, so fatigued in all of his life. Every inch of his muscles ached as his heavy breathing tried to make up for all of the pain. There was only one reason why he didn't give up, and that was because of her.

As soon as he reached the sand of the sea, he began to look for a way to cross it. He figured she had taken a boat to get back, but his assumption was proven incorrect once his eyes landed on the small oak boat that was only a few yards away. For a moment he internally panicked. Was she still in the woods? Was she hurt, lost, or injured? Then it dawned on him that she must've died and respawned to get back home. He breathed in relief for her. Now his only worry was for Coal, his little brother. Wood prayed and hoped that the boy was strong enough to heed his instructions and make it home in one piece. Before he knew it, he hurled himself into the boat and began to paddle into the foggy ocean water. It took more effort than he was used to in this state, but he managed. The drowned were rather afraid of thunder, so he had nothing to worry about. It didn't take long for him to see her home. River's home. His forest green eyes grew as they landed on the massive structure. He had been used to living in tents for most of his life, and to see the future of his new home- a real home... it was amazing to say the least. It was a tall building that had a dock/porch built onto it along with a few potted roses he saw growing by the front door, which was made of iron to keep out any unwanted guests. On the side of it, he saw a barn of some sort that was built right on top of the water like a large raft. Already he could see cows, pigs, and sheep that were being kept there. As soon as the boat docked, he hobbled out onto the porch and rang the doorbell. "River! It's me! Wood!" He called out, groaning at the open wound in his shoulder. Part of him still couldn't get over the fact that Stone, his own brother, actually hurt him.

Wood didn't have to wait long. He heard shuffling, then footsteps coming down the stairs. When River came into sight, he noticed that she wasn't wearing her signature hat, or her uniform for that matter. Instead, she wore a dark blue tunic and pair of what looked to be comfortable black trousers. She looked completely unharmed, proving that she had indeed respawned after the event. Hastily, she unlocked the door and immediately helped him to stand straight. "I was so worried about you! Come inside, I have medicine upstairs." She said with a knot in her throat, knowing she'd later have to tell him sooner or later that Coal was no longer alive. Her eyes were still red with tears, and so she thanked her lucky stars that Wood didn't mention it. However, Wood did notice. At first he thought it was her own physical pain that caused her to cry, but then he remembered that when she respawned her injuries were washed away. Together, they rushed up the stairs. The second floor was a dining room along with what he assumed was supposed to be an armory. He thought the whole house was amazingly built. It was made of both oak and birch wood with a few spruce embellishments here and there. It must've taken a long time to build. They walked down a hallway until they came upon what looked to be a library with a brewing stand. "Sit down." She ordered softly, motioning towards the sofa made of sheep wool. Wood complied, plopping himself down. She approached a chest that sat in the corner of the room and began to dig out some supplies. He watched her grab a few potion ingredients along with some gauze. After practically throwing them onto the brewing stand she began to examine him like a doctor would.

"Is anything broken?" She asked. "No." He replied, knowing what broken bones felt like. Wood felt a little light headed from blood loss, other than the many bruises on him. River seemed to be nervous, like she was hiding something. Turning away, she went back to the brewing stand once a red colored potion of healing began to bubble. She blew on it so it would cool down, and then offered it to him. He thought to himself how good it would feel to take a drink. She handed him the bottle, "Drink this, but leave some so I can pour it on your wound."