Chapter Thirteen, A Story of the Past

Start from the beginning

"My father spoke of revenge..." Wood whispered under his breath as Elder Adair paused for a moment. "Together they created a beast known as the Wither. Once it was unleashed, nothing could stop it. The blade of a sword, the tip of an arrow, even the best healing potion couldn't repel its terrible attacks. Many died whether it be from its sickening effects or its barbaric nature. While Notch did his best to stop it, Herobrine wouldn't let him. As for those that were caught dead never truly died, for they became the undead that now wander this world like lost souls. And so even with their unique abilities, the builders had to flee. The few survivors hid underground in a stronghold, where they came together to build their escape...." Elder Adair trailed off to look at River, who was trying to comprehend all the information she was receiving. "Can you guess where they escaped to, Hero?" He asked her. The lower lip of her mouth dropped slightly as the dawning realization hit her like a brick, "It was the End... wasn't it? They wanted to escape to the end..." Her blue eyes glimmered with tears that refused to fall.

"Yes. With nowhere else to turn, they left this world behind them to rot. Their temples, monuments, and mineshafts became abandoned on the surface while their ships sunk to the bottom of the sea never to be used again. By the time Notch destroyed the Wither, it was too late to bring them back. They were trapped in the end forever, forced to feed off of what they could find. Years became decades and decades became centuries. The builders began to evolve until they became unrecognizable. They became taller, quicker, and smarter-too smart perhaps. They evolved so much that we consider them monsters. Tell me River, have you ever seen an enderman? Have you ever listened closely to their noises that supposedly mean nothing but gibberish? No, my child, their gibberish can sound an awful lot like a voice telling you to free them. To free the end." Elder Adair finally opened his eyes, gazing directly at River as if he could truly see her. A tear rolled down her cheek as she struggled to form the words, "No... no it can't be." Wood had the same expression of shock as all the pieces suddenly clicked. Now he understood. He understood why his father wanted revenge, and why they had to free the end. "The Enderman... they're my ancestors. They used to be builders- I... I can't believe it. I don't know if I do believe it. I'm..." She didn't know what to say. Wood turned his head to look at her, realizing just how much this mission would mean to her and that his own race was responsible for it all. Elder Adair nodded before continuing the story.

"Enderman... they used to be just like you. Notch cried for centuries because of the guilt he felt for losing them. Until that is, he decided to create one hero to save them all, one last builder to bring the world peace and justice yet again. The Evoker that hunts you knows what you're capable of, and that's why he wants to stop you. His heart is still full of vengeance, and it was that vengeance that later created the Ender dragon. The dragon is meant to kill the remaining Enderman along with yourself just as it is meant to be unleashed like the Wither." Elder Adair rested both of his palms on River's shoulders, almost like a proud father would. "He created you, River. He created you to be a beacon of hope, a person that would be the perfect Hero." He then turned to Wood, moving his hands to rest on his shoulders as well. "As for you, Wood. Notch still loves your race greatly. That's why he wants you to stop hate, and what better way to do that than love? It's your purpose to love her... It's been your purpose all along." His words made Wood feel pride. He thought about first meeting River, about the connection he felt he had when his eyes first met hers. Now that he knew she was his purpose made his heart soar. As for River, she wiped her tears away, smiling through the heartache she felt. It wasn't because of Wood or Adair. It was because she found out the one thing she had been searching for the moment she first spawned in the wilderness: her destiny. "Thank you, Adair... Thank you so much. You don't know how much that means for us."

"Of course. I would've told you sooner if Notch had allowed me, but now is the time you needed to know." He let go of Wood, returning to his calm state of sitting on the multicolored rug beneath him. "I-I need a moment outside, if it's alright with you. What you've told us has been useful... but also overwhelming." River said, beginning to stand up. She picked up her hat again, placing it on her head. Wood looked up at her, tempted to stand as well. "Take all the time you need. I will discuss your means of travel with your companion, that way you can leave for the stronghold first thing in the morning." Elder Adair said, turning to Wood as she walked out the door and into the cool night air. Wood watched her leave hesitantly. He wanted to hold her in his arms, to tell her that they'd do this together and succeed, but then he told himself that she needed to be alone right then and there.

Once the door closed behind her, she let out a small sob. The porch had enough covering to shield her from the falling snow. She leaned against the wooden railing and looked up at the now cloudy sky. Part of her didn't know why she was crying, but the other half did as questions came swarming into her head. It wasn't about the quest, but it was about Notch. Why didn't he tell her? Why didn't he talk to her? Why did he just let her wake up in the middle of nowhere without a name? As much as she was grateful for existing, she wished he was with her. A father would've been nice. A guide would've been helpful on the first night she spent in the dark forest trying to start a fire for the very first time. At the same time, she smiled because she knew that she wasn't a mistake. Watching the snow fall down to the ground was relaxing her mind. She inhaled the cold air deeply, trying to find some state of peace even though her mind was as good as blurry. Years. It had been years since she had awoken in the forest all alone with no identity. She breathed deep breaths to calm herself. Eventually it worked once she thought about Wood's less complicated purpose. It felt like forever, but soon enough Wood emerged from the door. "There's a horse in town that we can lend. The stronghold lies three days away towards the east right beneath an oak forest. If we follow the east star, we'll find it. The Elder gave me these and said they're very important." He showed her a leather drawstring bag. River approached him and looked inside. There inside the bag were several spheres. It didn't take her long to guess what they were. "Eyes of Ender... they'll show us the way." She thought out loud. Wood didn't know what she meant, but knew they were all set.

The walk back to the Inn seemed more exhausting than their swim across the ocean. Once they were back in town there was hardly anyone on the street. They didn't talk much since they were both trying to comprehend what they had learned. It was the silence that made them more tired than they already were. By the time they had entered the Inn, they hauled themselves into their room and collapsed onto the bed they shared. Like the night before Wood removed his shirt along with his shoes. He decided that he'd sleep in just his trousers. As for River, she removed her armor and hat, deciding to sleep in the baggy clothes that they had been given. "Are you okay?" Wood asked her. "I don't know..." She replied. "Just... I'm... I don't know." River turned over in bed to face him. She wrapped her arms around him before burying her face into his chest. "I love you, Wood. You're the best thing that's ever happened to me." She murmured. He hugged her back, resting his head on top of hers. "I love you too, honey..." Saying it felt good. For a while they rested there. When they pulled away, both of them felt a better. It made her smile to hear him call her a pet name. "Honey? When did that happen?" She chuckled, voice still a little quivery from the knot in her throat. "It happened when you called me that the moment we first met." He smiled with her before planting a kiss on her lips.

It was short and sweet, exactly what she needed to send her to sleep. "Just wait, tomorrow we'll be out of here, in the sun again. Doesn't that sound good?" She said. "Yes. I miss the sun too. My father will have a hard time finding us without the map." He smirked. "I don't wanna think about him right now..." she yawned. "Then think about home. When this is all over, we'll go back to Cadia village and celebrate. Ride through the plains again, eat cake, you name it." Wood smiled, placing a final kiss on her forehead before they drifted off into the land of sleep.