September 1995

Their first class that morning was with the Gryffindor house, in Defense Against the Dark Arts. Lucy and Tina sat behind Hermione and Neville, and Draco sat behind Lucy. As they were getting their books out for class, a bird made from parchment was flying around the room, after a few seconds it suddenly burst into flames, landing on a desk.

At the back of the classroom, Professor Umbridge entered.

"Good morning, children. Ordinary Wizarding Level Examinations. O-W-Ls. More commonly known as OWLs." She said, using her wand to write on the board as she made her way up to the front of the class.

As she was speaking, she began handing out theory books.

"You'll be pleased to know, from now on, you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic." She explained. Lucy watched as Hermione raised her hand to ask something. "Yes?" professor Umbridge asked.

"There's nothing in here about using defensive spells?" Hermione questioned. Lucy was flipping through her book, surprised Hermione was right, there wasn't a single defensive spell in it.

"Using spells? Well, I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom." Professor Umbridge said.

Lucy raised her hand and when Umbridge pointed in her direction she asked, "we're not going to be using magic?"

"You'll be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way." The professor explained. Hermione looked over her shoulder at Lucy and they both of them screwed their faces up in shock.

"What use is that? If we're attacked, it won't be risk-free." Harry announced.

"Students will raise their hands when they speak in my class." The Professor snapped. "It is the view of the Ministry, that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient, to get you through your examinations. Which after all, is what school is all about." She continued.

"And how's theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there?" Harry continued, frustrated.

"There is nothing out there, dear." Professor Umbridge said softly. "Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourself?" She asked.

Without missing a beat Harry quickly responded with, "oh, I don't know. Maybe Lord Voldemort."

A shiver ran down Lucy's spine at hearing the name Lord Voldemort. She carefully looked over her shoulder at Draco who had a blank expression on his face.

"Now, let me make this quite plain." Professor Umbridge began, "you have been told that a certain dark wizard is at large again. That is a lie." She announced. Lucy could hear the anger in her voice, but she managed to keep her composure as she spoke to the class.

"It's not a lie. I saw him. I fought him!" Harry exclaimed.

"Detention, Mr. Potter." The Professor shouted. She was quite frightening when she raised her voice. Lucy ducked her head down to her book as the Professor and Harry continued at each other.

"So according to you, Cedric Diggory dropped dead of his own accord?" Harry yelled back.

"Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident." Professor Umbridge replied, trying to keep her voice steady.

"It was murder. Voldemort killed him." Harry yelled.

"Enough!" the Professor's voice echoed through each and every one of the students in the classroom. It almost made Lucy feel sick to her stomach the amount of anger and hatred that the Professor was exploding out. "Enough. See me later Mr. Potter. My office." She said before smiling to the rest of the class.