CHAPTER 10

Primus karys

From afar, the synagogue's dome with its gilded ribs extended up above the trees surrounding it. The structure itself achieved a unified, tent-like central space under the sun. The front was polychrome brickwork, richly ornamented with sculpted bricks and accented by colored glazed bricks. Four buried narrow shafts around the synagogue led deep underground - one each in the faces of the west, east, south-west, and south-east. They were believed to be the secret passages routed inside. But each one who attempted to get in never returned and seen again.

How could they? The shafts weren't secret passages but a labyrinth designed to throw intruders off the scent. Entering was as swift as the wind; leaving will take seasons, that was if one could survive suffocation. The clairvoyants after all remained mysterious despite their church allowed everyone any time. A breach was lethal.

Luna had leaked it to the prince who then told his primus karys. And so, rather than coming near the synagogue, Heimir navigated the woods about eight hundred and twenty feet away toward its south face where the Pharos stood. It had a square base, a lower square section, a middle octagonal, and a top circular. The whole tower spanned about one hundred and forty-five arms-length. The primus stepped a pattern of rocks revealing a hidden passage that leads to a chamber with shafts stretching deep below ground.

When he entered the tunnel, the above stones rumbled shutting the entryway, and the light no longer passed through. For a moment, there was darkness. But soon the walls lighted up with blue and violet luminescence. Heimir began to walk. Awe transformed his face as the floor glowed with each footstep he made. As he looked up again, he saw creatures with bodies similar to cubozoas but floating in the air.

 As he looked up again, he saw creatures with bodies similar to cubozoas but floating in the air

He felt like he was underwater yet breathing. Though the smell triggered his memory of wet earth and mold.

The peculiar creatures seemed to follow a path. He followed them with his gaze and wondered whether they serve as guides. He tightened his grip on his sword and silently tracked the end of that path. As he walked further, he began hearing echoes. They were muffled and unrecognizable at first 'til it became clear - sobs. The bound was a staircase receding like a snail's shell and he climbed it up as if he was walking in a thin sheet of ice.

Heimir reached the last step but there was no door nor any ajar. Only wall. He carefully stuck his one ear against it to hear the other end. Words he did not know were spoken. It sounded ancient. Like an incantation. Like a ritus.

"She who has gone, so we but cherish her memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present than the living one."

It was the headmistress. The primus karys recognized the voice. He once heard her spoke the same to a deceased soldier.

"O, Luna!" the bewailing flared.

His eyes rounded. 'Luna?' He pressed his ear further. The others cried her name as well. 'Be she...?' He stepped back. Sweat beaded his forehead. "No, it can't be," he murmured.