XII. IT ALL FELL DOWN

THE Weeping Monk entered the tent where Gawain was held and tortured

THE Weeping Monk entered the tent where Gawain was held and tortured. Too many emotions were challenging him now. Fear. Regret. Confusion.

"Don't be afraid, Ash Man. I don't bite." began the Green Knight. "It's those eyes. The mark of the Ash Folk. There haven't been any in these lands for centuries." his words were like knives in the monk's heart, he tried so hard to forget about his kind. "Have you just come to watch me die?"

"Why didn't you tell them before? You could have told them. But you didn't. Why?"

"Because all fey are brothers. Even the lost ones."

"This suffering, it will cleanse you." The Weeping Monk tried to ignore his words, he tried to ignore his own doubts and feelings.

"You parrot their words, but you know it's all lies. I can feel it in you, my brother."

"You are not my brother."

"They have turned your mind so far inside out...that you don't know the difference between kindness...and hate." Gawain tried to reason to him, call out to his internal fey. "Who did this to you?"

"We are saving souls. Your soul."

"Tell that to the little ones that you burn."

"I don't harm children." The Weeping Monk said, defending himself, he already had this converstion with Guinevere that night they crossed paths. That was the first step to the downfall of his faith in Father Carden and his cult, it all fell down.

"You burn their homes, you slay their mothers and their fathers and you watch your Red Brothers run them down on horses. And you see it all through those weeping eyes." Gawain's words were sinking deep into the monk's heart. The Green Knight reminded him of Guinevere somehow.

" Brother! You can fight. I've never seen anything like it. You could be our greatest warrior. Your people need you."

" You are not my people. " but deep down, The Weeping Monk knew that the fey kind, the demon borns, are his people.