Chapter 244: Being Carried Through the Day

Long Heng didn’t lie idle even though he was injured. There was all sorts of matters he had to deal with both in Shu County and the capital. He was busy working all the way until midnight before he finally could go to bed. Next day, Bai Xiangxiu nearly burst with joy as everyone around her hailed her as princess consort. She’d been stressed ever since she’d arrived in this world, and had never imagined that there would come a day where she would feel like she’d made it in this life. Wouldn’t it have been better if she’d transmigrated into the body of a princess consort in the first place? However, she’d much prefer becoming anyone other than the female lead. She’d fret herself to death! Ignoring how things have ended up for her, how does the female lead even handle being surrounded and pestered by so many guys?

Bai Xiangxiu was already worn out with just Long Heng alone. She’d given birth to a child for him, and had to take care of the household matters as well. After that, she had to manufacture bombs and deal with a bunch of scheming bitches and white lotuses. It was genuinely quite a handful! But she didn’t have much of a choice. Her husband was the male lead after all! She was already quite content that he hadn’t gotten some mistresses to compete with her.

Unfortunately, Long Heng only told Bai Xiangxiu about the autumn hunt after he was done with his matters and temporarily regained his footing in the capital. He also casually mentioned that both the husband and wife were expected to attend. It was an annual event for the emperor, an autumn and spring hunt. Although named a hunt, it functioned more like an outdoor banquet. He’d bring a gaggle of princes, his concubines and senior officials to nurture relationships and enjoy a good time. It was similar to the year-end company parties of modern times.

“He wants you to go even though you’re so seriously injured. He… he’s such a bastard!” This was the second time she’d called the emperor a bastard now. Fortunately, there wasn’t anyone else around to hear it this time.

Long Heng didn’t blame her for saying that either. “Don’t say bad things about the emperor when you’re in front of others, but you can even call him a cowardly idiot or whatever you want when you’re just with me.”

Pfff! Bai Xiangxiu burst into laughter. Long Heng sounded so old fashioned, like he was some loyal subject to the country at first. So, she never expected that he’d add on such a disloyal sentence at the end.

“Why are you laughing? Are you no longer worried about my condition?”

“Then what should we do about it?”

“Get someone to carry me!”

“Huh?” Long Heng had been walking around looking unfazed lately. Wouldn’t it be a little inappropriate for him to be carried around? “If it was your plan to be carried there all along, why did you walk back two days ago so nonchalantly?”

“You’re using the wrong words to describe things again. He wanted to make a fool out of me on that day, but I refused to let him get what he wanted. He wants to try to make a fool out of me tomorrow, so I will make a fool out of myself first before he can. I genuinely wish to see how he will order a man around who was carried there to accompany him for the hunt.”

“You have a point. My husband is such a smart man!” In the heat of the moment, Bai Xiangxiu lifted up on her tiptoes to kiss Long Heng’s cheeks as a reward.

Now that they were official husband and wife, the air between them had completely changed even though they already had had a child together. This was probably due to the change in attitude for them both. Long Heng could no longer treat Bai Xiangxiu as frivolously as before since they were now officially husband and wife. Treating her like a concubine would be inappropriate. However, Bai Xiangxiu couldn’t get used to him being all serious. So, she became the one with the frivolous attitude instead.