31: This is when it started to turn

That was the first exam I sat through. Tension around the room was high, and I could only imagine what was running through everybody's mind. It was clear people were dreading another death, but regardless, pens and pencils continued to scribble. Not mine, however. I simply stared at the equations and quadratic expressions, flipping aimlessly through the question paper as the hours ticked by.

"Five minutes to go," the invigilator announced.

By this time several people had turned over their papers and nodded off. I had found the perfect angle to peer at Brenda, who kept reading through her answers anxiously. On her other side, sandwiched between my wife and the wall, was Aubrey-Jay. It had been a while since any confrontation, nonetheless my heart skipped a beat when he suddenly leaned forward from behind and stared at me. I snapped my attention away at once, noticing in my peripheral vision that he continued to look, albeit past me.

On the other side, I spotted Charlie gazing in return and the pair seemed to be communicating back and forth somehow. I prayed it had nothing to do with me.

"Pens down!" the invigilator's order came.

He collected the papers in silence as I felt everyone's fear ease out the window.

"You are free to go."

That was the supervisor's final command, and my ears were immediately violated by the raucous of scraping chairs. Charlie crosses the area in front of my desk, heading over to talk to his girlfriend and her cousin. In a similar fashion, the rest of my classmates swirled around to find their friends. This was the part when I'd normally collect my stationery, turn on my invisibility and go about my business. But, much to my surprise, Drusilla Mendez appeared.

"Phew," she muttered, flicking a dramatic hand across her forehead. "You know, every time I leave an exam this term it feels like I just cheated death."

An awkward smile spread across my face. "Yeah."

We took out time walking back to class, sharing the bare minimum of information. The stream of conversation was a constant flow until we reached the open door of Form Four North, where it stopped short.

"Let's see what else he's got!" the irritating bass of Aubrey-Jay's voice flowing in my direction.

"Hey, look!" Chase mused in response, "It's that diary from before."

My heart dropped. He was holding the victim journal, an expression on his face similar to that of a glutton at Christmas dinner.

"Give that back!" I yelled, speeding over. Charlie held the book out of my reached and really just laughed. This felt like slight déjà vu. Oh, yes. Because even if Asa Jericho was rotting in the ground , there would always be somebody around to fill his slot in the hierarchy.

"Ooo," AJ crooned, "It appears the diary's gotten even more personal than before. Look how he fights!"

Charlie laughed along, smirking at me villainously.

"Let's get some updates," he declared, passing the journal to Brenda's brother.

Before the two bastards could read it, however, an authoritative voice intervened.

"Give it back."

Brenda had appeared from nowhere and she looked pissed. She snatched the book from her brother and handed it to me, virtually expressionless at first. I accepted it with a nod, glancing around for Dru, who I had unfairly abandoned mid-conversation. She had found her way to the Boaz twins, it seems, one of whom was excitedly narrating a story.

I tucked the book back in my satchel and crouched down to pick up my other belongings. Brenda had already gathered most of things. She had her eyebrows lowered furiously.

"Charles," she commanded, "Pass me the pen by your foot."

He complied, picking the writing utensil up with a cosy expression.

"Here you go, baby."

Brenda rolled her eyes and stuffed the last of my belongings into the bag, frustration burning from her molasses eyes.

"Sorry, Leon," she muttered, doing the zip. "Charles is such a wench sometimes. We've been together like two minutes and I'm already exhausted."

"You'll have to focus on the positive," I offered, feebly defending my own enemy.

"I guess-" she started, right before Charlie interrupted.

"Hey babe, come over her."

The girl pinched her eyes at me animatedly, swivelled on her heals and marched straight out of the room, leaving me to the mercy of the bully.

"Look what you did," Chase groaned, glaring at me.

"It's really not my fault if you can't treat her right," I fired back, slinging the bag over my shoulder.

"Shut up," he moaned. "Sissy."

I didn't respond, but, instead made my way out of class towards the library. Half-way there, a though occurred to me, such that the route changed. I had to go find the syringe I ditched earlier. Hopefully, nobody had paid it any attention.

Arriving in the stretch of corridor that lead from the hall to class, I walked down it with my eyes peeled. Nothing. Then I made a roundabout turn and walked slower this time – still nought. The third time around, I made sure to check every nook and cranny, yet all effort proved vain.

Someone in this building had picked up my syringe, and whoever that might have been was in grave danger. Oh zombies in graves...