Chapter Twenty-Eight

SHATTERED HEARTS

When laughter turns to tears...

When a simple hello turns into a sad goodbye...

When uplifted memories becomes melancholy...

When promises turned into sorry...

When sunny days becomes rainy...

When everything becomes blurry and suffocating. When you can no longer feel anything. Will you still be able to lookforward for a bright tomorrow? Will you still let yourself to grow and let go of the sorrow? Move on. Two simple words. Easier said... than done.

***

"Hero, son. Your friends are downstairs. Hindi mo ba sila kikitain man lang kahit saglit?" But he didn't even budge on giving his mom a single glance making her mother sigh. "Hero. It's been a week. You should stop trapping yourself here in your room."

Pero para siyang bingi at nagpatuloy lang sa paglalaro. His attention is all fixed up to what he is doing. His mother just sighed once more by the mere sight of his son.

He's a mess already. Mag-iisang linggo na itong nagkukulong sa loob ng kwarto. Hindi ito pumapasok sa school at di man lang kumakain. He's losing weight and dark bags are visible on his lower eye. His room is prettily mess up too.

"Hero. Your dad and I are already worried of you. Nak, if you want someone to listen, you can come to us."

But again, no response from him. Naitakip na lang ng ginang ang kanyang palad sa kanyang bibig para hindi nito marinig ang kanyang munting hikbi. "Hero. Hindi mo man lang ba dadalawin si Nhalyn sa huling pagkakataon?"

That made Hero stop from what he's doing. His body when solid ice. Natalo na lang siya sa laro niya ay hindi pa rin siya gumagalaw sa kinakaupuan. He clenched his fist as he gritted his teeth. "Get out."

"Hero—

"I said get out!"

Wala na lang nagawa ang ginang at mabigat ang loob na isinarado ang pinto. When he secured that his mother left already, the tears he fought back earlier started to cascade on his cheeks as he felt the piercing pain on his chest. Napasabunot na lang siya sa sariling buhok habang dinaramdam ang sakit sa dibdib dahil sa reyalidad na... wala na siya.

"W-What did you j-just say? W-Who f-found d-dead?"

The inspector saw the young man looking at him in disbelief. Kahit ang Inspektor ay di makapaniwala sa nalaman. The Inspector sigh as he walked closer to Hero and tapped his shoulder. "I'm sorry. Your friend, Nhalyn, was found dead in her condo unit earlier."

Hero just shakely chuckle before he shook his head. "That's impossible, Inspector. You see, today is her birthday. Naghahanda pa nga kami ng surprise party sa kanya mamaya. And... I'm still going to ask her later. She said... we'll  go out on a date. How come... she's d-dead?"

Agad namang natakpan ni Margrette ang bibig habang isa isang bumabagsak ang luha sa kanyang mata. Kent's jaw drop as he gasp for air. Bumagsak naman sa sahig si Joville habang sapo-sapo ang ulo at di makapaniwala sa narinig mula sa Inspektor. Angel Ann just cried silently as she held her chest so hard. Gianne went near to Hero and held his friend's shoulder while his eyes were glossy.

"I'm sorry."

Bulalas pa ng Inspektor. Everyone inside the room froze and teared up on what they just heard. Others were shock to the core and others were dumbfolded on what to react anymore.