have you got everything? (part 1/3)

collaboration with lostsparkss 💙

"Have you got everything?" Brett called over his shoulder as he put his shoes on. Eddy hummed in confirmation as he zipped up his backpack. "Let's go!" Brett pushed open the door and dragged Eddy out of the door, their picnic basket in hand. As Brett fiddled with the lock, Eddy looked thoughtfully back at their home of two years. They had thought that they would be able to go on world tours for performances, but life doesn't always work the way they want it to. Brett and him have been living here together for almost two years already, and now...

"Come on," Brett's voice interrupted his thoughts, "What are you looking at?" Eddy blinked as Brett opened the door on the passenger side and shoved him in. "What's the rush?" Eddy mumbled. "Well, if someone hadn't stayed in bed late, we wouldn't have gotten out late. Let's hope there's still space for us to have our picnic." Eddy pouted, glancing at Brett with his signature puppy eyes. "My bed was too comfy for me to not stay in there longer..." Brett patted his arm and started the engine. "Alright, alright. I'm not blaming you."

Eddy reached for the radio, but nothing seemed to suit him, so he just grabbed a CD and placed it into the player. "Ah, this one." Brett smiled as he hummed along to the music. "Are you sure you don't want to sell it to the public?" "Yea. This is our first and last album so I want it to be something special. We'll just keep it to ourselves and perhaps give a few out to some friends." Eddy nodded silently. They nodded along to the rhythm, admiring the passing scenery and enjoying their time together.

"Ugh, we're finally here." Brett switched the engine and stretched like a cat. Eddy frowned. "We had way more people last time when I came here with Zach." Brett shrugged, "At least we can find a good spot." "That's true."

They found a sheltered spot and sat down. Brett handed Eddy a cup of bubble tea, who took it in delight. "When did you get these?" The corner of Brett's lips curved upward automatically as he watched Eddy sip happily. "This morning."

"I made this as well." Brett fished out a box from their basket. "Oh my," Eddy said between sips as he glanced at Brett in admiration. "When did you get up this morning?"

"Try it. I think it's alright, but I don't know if you would like it." Brett indicated at the box. "I like anything you make." Brett smiled but didn't reply to Eddy. He scooped up a spoonful of potato salad and held it out. Instead of taking the spoon, Eddy just opened his mouth, "Ahhhh-" Brett deadpanned, but fed Eddy anyway.

Eddy scrunched up his nose as he tasted the salad. His eyes lit up after the first bite. After giving Brett the thumbs-up, he took the spoon and ate a few more spoonfuls of salad, savouring the delicacy. "It's amazing! I love eating food you make." Brett's cheeks coloured as Eddy praised him. "I'm glad you like it. It's all yours if you want it."

"Here," Eddy scooped up a generous portion of salad. "I'll feed you." He emptied the spoon into Brett's mouth before he could even react.

They kept on feeding each other for some time. Passer-bys raised their eyebrows at the two boys, then proceeded to put on their own sunglasses. Eddy was clearing up the last of the salad when a few drops of water landed in the container with soft 'plops'.

"Oi, Brett. Are you drooling? Here, you can have the last bit." Eddy giggled as he made fun of Brett.

Brett's answer surprised him. "Bro, it's raining. Stop eating. We gotta run!" Eddy barely had time to react as Brett shoved everything back into the basket and raced back towards their car. Eddy grabbed their bubble teas and dashed after his friend.

As soon as the car door closed, the rain came pouring down. Eddy dumped the bubble teas on the dashboard and panted out, "That's why there were so few people. We were the only ones who didn't check the weather forecast." Brett didn't look too surprised about the rain. He seemed to have something else on his mind.

"What is it?" Eddy asked as he caught the look on Brett's face.

"Uh,we couldn't really have the picnic... and it's almost time anyway..." Brett's eyes didn't meet Eddy's, but darted towards the rear mirror instead. Eddy followed Brett's gaze and his eyes landed on his backpack in the backseat. He understood immediately.

"Yeah... it's almost time. We should get going."

The ride to the train station was a quiet one. Both of them were deep in thought. The only source of noise was the rain pattering on the roof. Eddy listened to the droplets hitting the roof mercilessly, and felt like small pins were pricking at his heart just as mercilessly. It suddenly dawned on him that he could probably never get to see the person beside him again. Eddy wanted to get a good look at Brett for the last time, but he didn't dare to.

Brett was no different. He was trying his best to hide his trembling hands, and his grip on the wheel was hard, mirroring the tight squeeze he felt in his heart. He could feel the tears at the back of his eyes, and he blinked furiously to hold them back.
Both of them wanted this eerily quiet car ride to be over as quickly as possible, but they also wanted to just be next to each other for a bit longer.

The choking ride was finally over, meaning it was time to say their goodbyes.

Eddy embraced his best friend of more than a decade and murmured in his ear. "I have to go." Brett responded with a quiet "Take care." They shared a small smile and let go of each other, finally bidding the person who had been beside him for half a lifetime farewell.

Eddy turned towards the gate, but realised his pocket was empty. He left his ticket at home. Idiot. He mumbled as he changed directions and headed towards the ticket booth.

"I asked you if you have gotten everything, didn't I?"

Eddy whirled around. His best friend was standing there, his ticket in hand.

The taller boy couldn't hold it in anymore. Saying goodbye once was already painful enough. Eddy took the ticket from Brett's hand and barely managed to choke out his words. "This is really goodbye..." He was about to turn around, but Brett grabbed his arm and pulled him into a hug.

The smaller boy fitted right into his arms. Eddy felt liquid seeping through his shirt, followed by a small voice. "Never forget me." How could he ever forget him? Yet no words could make their way out of his mouth, so he just responded with a gentle "Mhm."

Then he left. He didn't let himself turn back - he couldn't stand to see Brett so upset, and he didn't want Brett to see him in this state either.

As he settled down in his seat on the train, Eddy scrolled through his playlist for... heartbreak songs? Why not? "...Who do you miss the most when you close your eyes? Yet who is beside you when you open your eyes?..." He couldn't bear to listen to the song anymore.

"Have you got everything?" Eddy heard that one voice asking him the same question again - the voice of the person whom he truly loves and will never forget for the rest of his life .

I got my bags, my violin, and our memories. The only thing missing ... is you.

-tbc-