late night out

Eddy sighed as he held up his phone and snapped a picture of the scenery around him.

Brett would go at him if he disappeared at one in the morning without a word again.

It wasn’t the first time he had run out alone after they had a fight. Well. They don’t fight, so it would be more appropriate to say that they had a disagreement that had left the two of them sulking on their own.

Eddy hit ‘Send’ and slipped his phone back into his pocket. He leaned on the rail and smiled for the first time that night, admiring the beautiful night life in Singapore.

Neither of them had been out this late since the start of 2020. True, Brett is a party boy and Eddy is a night owl, but the annoying virus had been preventing them from joining any night events.

When they came back to Singapore, they had wanted to hang out with their friends and party till the sun comes up again, but Brett’s health condition had… gone out of hand.

Eddy had the shock of his life when Brett fainted in the kitchen one day. After visiting the hospital several times, Eddy had made a grave mistake of believing Brett when he said that he was alright to film. He should have noticed the signs earlier.

Brett was just as cheery and energetic in front of the camera, but as soon as they finished, he would sit there in his seat and stare blankly in front of him, doing literally nothing. When Eddy had asked Brett what was wrong, he would just shrug and disappear into his room. Eddy knew not to intrude Brett’s privacy when his door is shut, for he never closes the door. But not keeping a close eye on Brett also made Eddy underestimate Brett’s condition.

Brett had not been feeling too good one morning with a headache and a pale face, but he had insisted that he was well enough to film. He might have made it through alright if it had been a regular video where they would have been sitting down and giving reactions to a random video or two, but that wasn’t the case. They had been filming a special video on ‘Blind dating Musicians’ where Brett had to stand up and move around quite a lot, as well as use his brain more times than necessary for a patient.

Always the one to put on a brave face, Brett had held his façade in front of the volunteering girls. Eddy could have kicked himself when Brett had leaned his whole body onto him for support, his face whiter than paper. Fourteen years of being best friends and a whole year of dating, and Eddy Chen – THE Eddy Chen, the one and only person who could read Brett like an open book and see through his deadpan face – had failed to see that Brett, in fact, was very not alright.

No longer trusting Brett to say that he was alright, Eddy had proposed that they take a break so that Brett could take all the time he needed to recover. Knowing Brett a bit too well to know that he would never agree to taking a break if he was the main reason for it, Eddy had claimed that he was “never going to survive that shitload of work alone” while Brett was in bed and that he wanted time off as well. Brett, also knowing Eddy too well, of course knew that Eddy was just finding a better way of saying that he needed the rest. Though not showing it on his face, Brett was secretly grateful that Eddy cared so much about him and loved him with all his heart.

Brett had gotten a lot better as compared to the first few weeks of taking a break. During that time, he had been unable to get out of bed without help, meaning that he had to stay in bed all day and could only get up to visit the toilet. His appetite had shrunk tremendously, and the veins on his arms and the ribs in his front were protruding so much Eddy couldn’t bear to look at them when he was aiding Brett in taking a shower.