Chapter 5: Explosions

"Hey Raven, you ready to go?" 'As ready as I'll ever be', I thought. "Yep, let's go."

Aqualadd and I walked around Jump City until we finally got to the pier. "The fireworks haven't even started and I'm already having fun." He said as he playfully nudged me in the side. Is that flirting or being friendly?! God, what have I gotten myself into? Just stop thinking...

"Hey, wanna go get some ice cream, or something to drink while we wait?" He pointed to an ice cream parlour a little further down the pier. "That sounds like a lot of fun." I smiled up at him as we walked towards the pink and white coloured building.

"Okay, what flavour do you want?" I asked as we walked through the doors, a bell above us ringing. "Well, I thought maybe we could share?" I felt a blush creep up on my face, so I lowered my head slightly, trying to keep it hidden. "That -uh, that sounds nice." I tried to restrain a small giggle forming on my lips as I thought about the situation.

I've never been on a date before today, shared ice cream with anyone, smiled as much as I have today. 'I like being with Aqualadd',I thought to myself.

"So, what's your favourite flavour? They've got chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, mint, caramel and bubblegum." I looked over the different flavours of ice cream laid out in front of me. "I have no clue, you can pick."

Aqualadd decided on ordering us the mint flavoured ice cream and we kept walking down the pier, occasionally making small talk and sharing the ice cream cone. We eventually found ourselves sitting on the edge on the pier with our feet dangling over the water, my head on his shoulder and his arm around my waist. I've never sat like this with anyone before, it felt really nice and comfortable.

"How much longer till the fireworks display?" I asked, tilting my face up to look at him. "Not long. They should start real soon." He moved his head down to look at me also, and our faces were only centimetres apart. I felt a nervous lump form in my throat as I saw he began leaning in. Shitshitshitshitshitshitshit. What do I do?

Before I knew it, my eyes were closed and I was leaning in too. I felt his smooth, warm lips caress my own and butterflies formed in my stomach. I heard a pop near by and we both quickly pulled away to see what had happened. I looked behind us and saw a balloon popped and on the ground, the black aura that is my magic still disintegrating from it's surface.

I turned back to Aqualadd and felt my face heat up. "I-I'm so sorry... My emotions make my powers go a little crazy sometimes." I was only half telling the truth, I didn't want to scare him away. I looked down at his hand that was still sitting on my waist.

"Hey, it's okay, you can't help it." He gently grabbed my chin, making me face him. "It was just a balloon." Yea, the balloon now, a whole flock of birds next. I shivered at the thought of accidentally popping pigeons because I couldn't control myself.

"You cold?" I didn't want him to know what I was thinking, so I just nodded. "Come here." He pulled me in closer to him, letting the hand that wasn't wrapped around my waist sit on my thigh just above my knee. "Better?" He asked as I snuggled up to him. "Mhmm." I hummed as I leaned back into his shoulder again.

"Look, the fireworks are starting!" He took his hand off my knee and pointed to a small explosion off in the distance. The sparkles of the small firework shining brightly as they slowly disappeared from the sky. Most of the people around us saw the small explosion and crowded around the end of the pier with us.

Explosion after explosion, colours filled up the sky, creating a beautiful reflection on the water below. I could see titans tower being lit up slightly off in the distance. "This is nice." I heard Aqualadd say as he rubbed his hand up and down my waist in a comforting manner.

"Yea, it is." I felt him plant his lips on top of my head as I felt my eyes start getting heavy.