***

Hunter and Gavin left in the morning. Making it into the city they made sure to keep the hoods of their cloaks drawn and their weapons hidden. To the people around them they were just travellers passing through, looking for a place to rest before continuing their journey.

"I don't hear anything of use."

Gavin said as they pushed their way through the fabric market. There was a crowd of young couples by a cart, so they decided to turn down an ally. Not wanting to draw more attention to themselves or worse, get caught in the crowd of young lovesick couples.

"Neither do I. But we keep listening."

They walked by a few vendors and some called to them to buy their wares. Before they had left, both males had decided that their best course of action would be to learn more on the civil unrest brewing with the merchants. They couldn't very well walk into the Merchant Council, so they had hoped to pick up on conversations or hear rumours.

Yet so far all they had heard were the empty praises of the King and the few people they had tried to engage in conversation had only tried to sell them their wares. He had instantly turned around and left once they offered him one of their useless trinkets, but he saw Gavin eyeing the small charms a few women had purchased.

He conveniently stepped away when his friend was lingering by the cart and now, he could faintly see the indent of a small parcel in his friend's cloak pocket. He secretly smirked but did not comment on it.

Gavin whistled behind him and he turned to see him pointing to an inn that had a loud crowd of men collected in front of it. He saw the familiar pins that adorned their vest and nodded to Gavin.

They had, inadvertently, ran into a Council meeting. And from the looks of it, the Council looked angry.

"We need to fight back!" One of the men said and shouts of agreement rang through the crowd. The men began to make their way into the inn and the two of them followed suit, slipping in with the crowd and staying out of sight.

Hunter watched as the group sat around a table. The inn was already full, but it appeared that the council was expected because the waitresses quickly brought out drinks as the men sat down.

"We need a plan. We have tried petitioning the King for an audience, but he has refused us again. If we are taxed more, we won't survive the winter! We cannot live like this. Our children will die in poverty!" One of the men, who appeared to be the Council leader, spoke. The group nodded their head but one asked, "what should we do? With Omnium Animarum in a month the King will never heed our wishes. This is the highest selling time of the season!"

The Council leader nodded but Hunter noticed a spark in his eye as his back straighten. Leaning closer, the man whispered. "If the King won't listen to us then we will make him listen. At the ball held on Omnium Animarum, the King always makes an entrance and addresses the people. We make our case then."

The men's eyes widened as they took in the words of their leader.

"But won't that be dangerous?"

Shaking his head, the Council leader urged, "we will be peaceful—no weapons, no shouting, and no threats."

Agreeing with this, the men smiled. They were on board with the plan, but Hunter had another plan forming in his mind.

Drawing their cloaks up, Hunter and Gavin slipped out of the inn. He thought he saw familiar hazel eyes but resisted the urge to look back. She should not be coming to mind right now. Although, he did think about her more often than he liked. He convinced himself that he just worried about her safety. He had made a promise to himself that he would deliver her to Ilaburn and he did.

But there was a part of him that continued to worry about her safety.

Hunter let out a low growl and continued walking. Gavin was silent behind him, whether he heard the animalistic sound or not he did not say. They had to return to the cabin and let Elias know of Omnium Animarum and what the merchants were planning.

Reaching the cabin, Hunter found the old man and Tal sitting in front of the fire. Tal was urging the flame in different directions as he sat ready with a bucket of water.

"What is Omnium Animarum?" Hunter asked as he took his cloak off.

Gavin greeted Tal and praised her for her improvement, but Hunter was still looking at Elias.

Groaning he answered, "'All Souls'. It is a mockery the King puts on every year. It is a festival to honour the dead, but the people also bring gifts and praise the King for vanquishing the enemy. He makes a fool of the people and has a good ol' laugh." Elias poured some ale and offered it to Hunter. Taking it, Hunter asked him to elaborate.

"When he locked our powers. He managed to lock the memories of The Lands too. Now the people think of him as their saviour and don't remember that he was the usurper. Omnium Animarum is his way of celebrating his reign."

"The merchants are planning a 'peaceful' meeting with the King. They want to calmly approach him."

Elias arched a brow, surprise evident on his face.

"Am I correct to assume that nothing about their visit will be peaceful?" Hunter watched as he looked from him to Gavin.

Hunter turned to his childhood friend, the dark eyes that met his were of a warrior. A smile broke on his face and Hunter felt his lips tung up into a similar smile.

"War is never peaceful."

***

Dawn could have sworn that she saw a familiar pair of blue eyes look her way but before she could confirm the owner of those eyes the figure was gone. She scanned the faces of the crowd and looked out the small windows against the wall, but he was gone.

Was it him? Was he here, in the city?

Luke asked her if she was alright, and taking her eyes away from the front door, she nodded her head. Together they ate but she still found her eyes straying toward the front door, hoping that her suspicions were correct, and she would see his familiar black hair and deep blue eyes.

But he never appeared.

Finishing their food, they left the inn after Luke bid farewell and promised his aunt that he would visit soon. They walked the cobblestone path back to the castle but unlike before, the pair did not carry on their easy conversation. She could feel Luke's gaze on her, but she did not comment on it and neither did he. Reaching the castle, the pair said their goodbyes and she made her way to her chamber.

Sitting on her bed, Dawn rested her hand on her chest. She could still feel the rapid rhythm of her heart. She had not realized how much seeing Hunter would affect her. Since parting ways, she found herself looking out into the city, wondering where he might be.

Whether he was safe.

Whether he thought about her.

Taking a deep breath, she tried to calm her heart. To be feeling this way about another male brought tears to eyes. A part of her would always belong to Ryder, but he was gone, and her selfish heart was pulled toward Hunter. The time she spent with him did not rival the years she had known Ryder, but her heart ached when she thought of never seeing him again. But her mind fought her foolish heart. How could she feel anything for a male who was so quick to part ways?

Turning over in her bed, she closed her eyes as a lone tear slid across her cheek. She forced herself to sleep but she found herself tossing and turning for the remainder of the night until exhaustion finally lulled her into a restless slumber. 

A/N: See you all back here on Thursday! What will Dawn dream about...I wonder.