Chapter 13

Enjoy a happy little update before my regular Thursday updates!

True to his word, Luke showed up at her door and together they made their way into the city. He pointed out shops and places where he would spend his time during his childhood. They went to the vegetable market and Luke spoke to the vendors there, placing the orders Gus had requested and scheduled the deliveries.

The weather was nice, the warmth of the sun heated her skin and it felt refreshing to be above ground again. She had made it a habit to spend every waking hour in the Library or in the confines of the castle and had not realized until that moment how little of the city she had actually seen.

There were vibrant fabrics with lively patterns hung throughout the streets and women called out to them, urging Luke to "buy the lovely lady a new scarf". He had held an easy conversation during the afternoon, speaking about his days and asking her how she was enjoying Ilaburn. They would laugh about the new story Gus had told them and they would form their own theories on what the real version of his fantastical tales were.

With her hand held in the crook of Luke's arm, he guided her toward an elderly woman selling small trinkets.

"Here young man, a gift for the lady."

The woman held out a small mirror adorned with red and gold lacquer. Turning it over in her hand, the symbol of the roaring lion was depicted in the lacquer. Luke went to hand her a few coins, but the woman protested. "It is meant for her. May you two be blessed with beautiful children."

Luke blushed and scratched his shaggy blond hair he said, "uh-thank you ma'am." Dawn held the mirror in her hand and admired the workmanship. She smiled as she looked back at the woman and saw more couples surrounding her cart. The woman was smiling at the couples who were eager to purchase small gifts or mementos to mark their day together.

"Let's go eat." Luke said and stuck out his arm for her to take. "My uncle's inn is just ahead."

Rounding the corner, a sign that read "Homestead Inn" greeted her. A small horse was painted on the wooden sign that hung above the door and Dawn could hear the happy customers chatting inside.

Luke took her to the front door and make his way to plump woman. He tapped on her shoulder and turning around a smile broke across her face as she pulled Luke into a hug. Letting go, she said, "Luke, it is so nice to see you! The castle job has been keeping you busy?"

"Yes, it has. But I brought a friend with me. I was hoping to have her try one of uncle's famous pies."

Luke stepped aside for the woman to see her. Smiling Dawn nodded to the woman and introduced herself, "Hello, I'm Dawn."

"Well, this is amazing! It's not every day my favourite nephew brings a girl with him."

The woman smiled and led them to a table. She left with the promise to be back with 'the best savoury pie'.

She turned to Luke and found him smiling shyly at her. She raised an eyebrow and he just let out a breathy laugh and shook his head. Shrugging her shoulders, she went back to scanning her surroundings. There were families dining at the inn and the pleasantly surprised travellers as well. The room was designed in a circle, there were tables all around and the waitresses could easily walk through the room. It felt like a large family gathering.

The patrons were merrily eating and laughing as they spoke to their friends. The waitresses would ask how some customers were doing, how their food was, and the occasional "is your little one feeling better now?"

She smiled seeing the close community and the sanctuary this inn provided for the people of Ilaburn. But the image of peace and merriment was rudely interrupted when a group of loud men walked in.