Chapter Fourteen

It was 4 in the morning. Blaire burst into my room. She didn't even bother to knock. She had simply grabbed a bobby pin out of her hair, picked the lock, and stuck it back in her hair.

She shook me and was saying my name over and over. "Ember, Ember, Ember wake up." Blaire said.

"Ugh, what do you want?" I said sleepily.

"I have to tell you and Hallie something about Rye. Come on let's go wake her up." Said Blaire.

"Uh fine. Just get out so I can get dressed." I said annoyed.

I started to get dressed. Once I was done I went out in the hallway. I was wondering what was so important that she has to tell us right now.

"Do you have a key for Hallie's room?" Asked Blaire.

"Yes, in my room." I said.

"Well, go get it." Blaire demanded.

I went back into my room to get the key to Hallie's room. Once I had gotten the key we unlocked her door. We ran in and shut the door quickly and quietly behind us.

We started to shake Hallie awake. "Hallie get up!" We repeated over and over until she finally woke up. When she had awoken she went into the washroom and got changed into her chosen day clothes for today. We waited. She came out. Blaire made us sit on the bed while she was telling us her news.

We sat down and Blaire started to talk.

"You guys can't ask out Rye." Said Blaire.

"Why? Is it because you like him? Because I don't care if you do or not, I liked him first." I interrupted.

"No Ember I don't like him," Blaire confirmed.

"Well, why not then?" Hallie asked.

"If you guys would stop interrupting me I would be able to tell you." Said Blaire.

We decided to stop interrupting her and listen.

"Rye came into my room and took me to practice archery. After we were done he told me that he was my brother. I didn't believe him so I chased after him and he is my brother and your guys' cousin. His name is Rye Carter." Blaire announced.

"That's cool and not funny to joke about Blaire. Just because you decided your new surname was Carter and he has that surname doesn't mean you're siblings." Hallie said.

"I completely forgot to tell you. Great Grandma Ariel told me that my dad's surname was Carter and my mom took his surname when they got married. Which means my surname is Carter." Blaire said.

"Well, why didn't he live with us then?" I asked.

"I asked him the same thing. He lived with Great Grandma Ariel. That's how he knew where to find me. That's why I was gone that one morning." Blaire said.

It was all starting to make sense.

"Eww, we had a crush on our cousin." Hallie and I said at the same time.

"Yep pretty gross when you think about it, huh?" Blaire said.

"Mhm." We mumbled.

"I don't like him anymore." I said.

"Me neither." Hallie exclaimed.

"Good, now we have to get ready for our lesson," Blaire said.

We all went back to our own rooms and got ready for our lesson. Today we had weaponry practice. In weaponry practice, we learned how to hold the weapon. We also learned how to put the weapon to use. We then got to try out the weapon using targets of course.

We all walked down to weaponry practice when Rye walked in and pulled me aside. He was a very grab-and-go guy, he didn't like explaining until we had already started doing what we were supposed to do. He's nice though so it's okay.

"What are we doing and where are we going?" I asked.

"You'll see." Rye replied.

We went into a room and he told me to put this weird looking disguise on. I did. He was wearing one too.

We then started walking into town. When we arrived in town, he started to explain to me what we were doing.

We walked up to a market. He told me that each member of the rebels had their own unique specialization. He told me mine was stealth, stealing things for training and battle use.

"Walk up to that market, act normal, do what you would have done back home when you needed something." Said Rye.

"Ok, but what am I getting?" I asked.

"Well this is just for training so just get a few things that you want." Rye said.

I went up to the market. Rye had told me to get a few things that I want and a few means three, so I got a peach, banana, and a mango.

"Great job! Now time to get some disguises that are less likely to look like a disguise." Rye said.

We walked down the street and stopped when we got to the costume shop. I walked in and looked around when I spotted some good disguises. I stuffed them in my coat and walked out of the store.

I showed Rye the disguises and he was very pleased with my ability to steal when needed.

We started walking back to the training base. I still had a few hours of my lesson.

"You know I knew that you had a crush on me." Said Rye.

"What no I didn't." I lied.

"Yes you did, admit it. It doesn't matter though, you didn't know we were cousins. And technically we're not even cousins." Said Rye.

"Right because yours and Blaire's mom is adopted," I said.

"True, but I'd like to consider us cousins since I am Blaire's brother and you consider her your cousin," Rye said.

"Yes of course." I said.

We got back to the training base. I jumped right into the lesson. Blaire and Hallie were beside me and were asking me what I was doing. I told them all about my adventure and specialization while training. I made sure to say it quietly enough so Alana wouldn't hear, not like she would care, but then I could tell her later.

The lesson ended and we all went back to our rooms and got ready for the night. I went to bed.